South American Cichlids • Proper tank size for a severum

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Proper tank size for a severum

Postby buzzz » Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi all,

I have been an aquarist for a long time but I have never had a fish larger than 2 inches.
The biggest one was Dwarf gourami.

I would like to try a bigger one. From my research on the internet, my favorites are often American cichlids.
First I notice the Oscar Fish, this choice may be too difficult for a first try.

I also like the gold severum. It seems to be a bit smaller and simpler to maintain.

Nevertheless, I have to ask about the descent size of the tank in order to avoid pollution problem and fish depression.

I am not a big fan of aquarium maintenance. I prefer to spend my time watching my fishes.
I do maintenance when it needs to be done. But I would like to avoid multiplying the risks: algae, pollution spike, disease.

My tank size can go from 80 to 120 gallons.

I think I would be very happy with 1 maybe 2.
I am afraid to have babies because if 3 or more survive, space will quickly run out, and it will be a disaster.

Tankmates may be: Cardinal tetra and/or Corydoras.

Thank you for your advice
buzzz

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Proper tank size for a severum

Postby Auballagh » Thu May 06, 2021 10:38 pm

You have an interesting situation.
A love of the fish - not so much the fry/baby fish produced by a pair of spawning Cichlids?
So well, okay then....
An 80 gallon aquarium would be just fine for keeping a single Severum. And yes, the Gold Severum is a nice one.
But, have you considered this Severum?

The Red Shouldered Severum, Heros sp. efasciatus 'Rotkeil'
-
Oh my, that really is a quite beautiful Severum! So, to go with that individual Cichlid, I would stock the 80 gallon tank with 12-14 Cardinal Tetras and 6-8 Corydoras catfish, plus a single, smaller growing Pleco. That stocking arrangement should work out just fine for you.
With no spawning Cichlids. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby buzzz » Fri May 07, 2021 8:09 am

Thank you for your advice Auballagh

Maybe there was a misunderstanding. I would be happy to have some babies from a pair of severum.
But, I believe that I will not be able to maintain many severums in a 100 gallons tank.

This fish is not well known in my country. They prefer Discus.

So, I would have some trouble giving the larger adults back to the local store.
And several large fishes, that will bring me high pollution I think.
It might work for the first generation, but after that, I don't know how to deal with it.

How do you manage this problem on your side ? Maybe I missed something ?
buzzz

Postby Auballagh » Sat May 08, 2021 10:26 am

Okay then.... let's try to approach this from another direction.
To achieve what I believe your goals are, you could try stocking the 80 gallon tank in one of two different ways,
-
1) One individual each of Severum, Heros sp. efasciatus 'Rotkeil', a Festivum, Mesonauta festivus and an Angelfish, Pterophyllum scalare. With that group of Cichlids, you can keep Cardinal Tetras and Corydoras catfish.
- or -
2) One pair of Severum, Heros sp. efasciatus 'Rotkeil'. Replace the Cardinals with larger and meaner/stronger species of Tetras. Buenos Aires Tetras would work. But, you may be able to stock with Serpae Tetras (Or even Tiger Barbs if you prefer the way they look). The Tetras (or Barbs) will almost certainly clean up any fry produced by your pair of spawning Severum.
-
Whew.... would that do the trick? :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids