Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Black Ram Cichlid Concave Stomach Possible Parasite?

646 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Auballagh 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I had a pair of two Black Rams that were happy and healthy and I had introduced 10 neon tetras and since half of those had passed away unexpectedly with perfect water parameters and they were quarantined for almost two weeks. Since then my female black ram has passed away without any recognizable cause but the male seems to have developed a seriously concaved stomach even though he eats normally and has normal behavior which makes me assume there may be some sort of parasite residing inside of him. He will poop normal colored feces after feeding but then will randomly have white/clear feces. I have tried metroplex but he wont touch food with it. Any ideas are welcome. All parameters are perfect as I do 20-30% water changes weekly and there are 5 neon tetras, 2 pearl danios, 1 remaining emerald cory, and a densely planted 29 gallon tank at 81 degrees F.

#2 ·
From what you describe I am not exactly sure what is going on in your aquarium. But, there is a possibility your Black Ram may have a case of Bloat. Treating with Metronidazole won't hurt, and may cure your sick Ram of whatever is actually ailing him. If your Ram is still accepting food, treating his food will have the best results.
- Use frozen food which should be thawed out and then add two teaspoons of Metronidazole powder to 0.5 kg of food, mix it thoroughly and then re-freeze. The food should be used on ten consecutive days.
- Pellet food can be pre-soaked in a Metronidazole infused water solution (I would use distilled water for this, with a very small bowl). The amount of medication mixed into each food offering with pre-soaked pellets will have to be based on your own best judgement. I have no 'recipe' for that....
-
If your sick Ram will not eat any food, then you will have to attempt treatment of the aquarium water.
- Remove all activated carbon from any filtration equipment.
- Thoroughly clean/rinse all foam filtration media with tank water.
- Conduct a high percentage (90 percent) water change.
- Treat with Metronidazole, The recommended dose is: A quarter of a teaspoon per 20 gallons of aquarium water. Treat every 24 hours with a 25% water change made before each treatment.
-
Good luck with it, and I'm sorry your fish are getting sick. Hopefully this solution will work for you to correct the problem. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.