South American Cichlids • Apistos and Amanos

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Apistos and Amanos

Postby Rycraft » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 am

So I recently set up a 20 gallon planted tank aquascape (picture attached). Plants are starting to fill in and so far I have 10 Amano shrimp in there and 4 otocinclus. When I was working on the hardscape I ended up creating two caves. When trying to think of what to put in the tank I was doing research and found that Apistogrammas would appreciate a cave.

I was specifically looking at either a pair of Agassizzii, Macmasteri or Viejita. I've never kept a Apistogrammas before but looking for opinions of those that have. Will these make dinner out of my Amanos or is this one of those depends on the individual fish situations?

I don't mind if the Amano shrimp are more stealth to hide from the Apistos but I don't want them living in fear and ultimately they are there to eat algae which they won't do a great job of if they are constantly hiding. So do I have a shot with the Apistos?
Attachments
16173759497452389745701776393706.jpg
Rycraft

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Apistos and Amanos

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Apistogramma_borellii.jpg
they should be absolutely fine, neocardina shrimp would not be something i will put with apistos ever again. :x
macmsteri should be fine and if you can find vijeta which is super uncommon, they may be listed as vijeta but are more than likely macs. but I suggest something that likely looks better and is smaller: Apistogramma Borellii they are stunning fish and are much less aggressive and smaller, although if you want the Borelli or any other apisto you decide on to breed I suggest moving the amanos out, in my experience they are opportunists and will eat you fry any chance the get. :roll:
fishybuisness

Postby Auballagh » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:28 pm

Whew... sweet looking Apisto pair 'fishybusiness'. 8)
And so, to summarize your response (I'm working on setting up my own 20 gallon 'long, Apisto-themed tank soon, as well!):

The A. macmateri and A. vijeta will work good in keeping with Amano shrimp. A. borelli is another, calmer Apisto species that would also work well in keeping with these shrimp.
- HOWEVER -
Amano shrimp are NOT recommended for keeping with spawning Apistos, as they are (sneaky?) opportunists and will eat the Apisto fry if given a chance.
-
Alrighty then. Got it! And so I don't misunderstand you 'fishybusiness', does that summarize and explain accurately what your Apisto keeping recommendations are with Amano shrimp in the aquarium?
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:44 pm

Thanks Auballagh for summarizing my earlier rushed message it was weirdly worded and is awkward to read. The borellii are a stunning pair of fish, they are not mine sadly but I hope to have a pair of them soon enough.

Amano shrimps would be fine with most any apistos but will consume fry readily.

another thing to add is that borellii are more suitable than many other fish in the genus apistogramma because of their small size and easygoing nature!

your summary is correct and much better than mine originally, thank you.
fishybuisness

Postby Rycraft » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Thanks for the input. Another LFS just got in some Borelli but they are pretty tiny. Difficult to sex right now. I have to admit I like the colors of the Macmasteri a bit more but a couple of the Borelli were quite striking. It's going to be a tough choice.
Rycraft

Return to South American Cichlids