South American Cichlids • 900 Gallon Stocking

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

900 Gallon Stocking

Postby Seraki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi everyone, apologies but this will be a slightly longer post. Basically to cut a long story short we’ve finally had our offer accepted on our dream house and a dream house of course has to have a dream tank
Seraki

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 900 Gallon Stocking

Postby Seraki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:48 pm

Also filtration will be a 96” x 24” x 24” sump (and old tank I’m going to modify and possibly a couple of fx6’s
Seraki

Postby Auballagh » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:09 pm

Wow, 900 gallons is a seriously big aquarium! And, unless the dimensions of this tank are going to be a little strange (four foot wide cylinder that is 10 feet tall?), you could pretty much stock this thing with whatever you want.
I would however, strongly recommend you do a thorough analysis of the water source you will be using for this aquarium. For example, the UK permits a Nitrate level of up to 50 PPM out of their municipal water. That's too high for drinking water! And, the occupants of this aquarium will certainly need water provided for them that is much lower in Nitrate levels than that.
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Seraki » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 pm

Thanks! It’s going to be 12ft long, 30inches tall and 4ft deep.
I’ve only done basic water tests with the api kits so far but the nitrates nitrites in the tap water both seem to be really low.
I was thinking of having
- 12 geophagus winemilleri or red head tapajos (or possibly both mixed together)
- 4 blue acara
- 4 rotkeil severum
- 2 threadfin acara
- 1 green terror
- 30 red line torpedo barbs
- 1 red tailed black shark
And I was wondering whether I would also be able to add a firemouth, convict and possibly even a jack dempsey if the size of the tank would give them enough space to coexist
Seraki

Postby Seraki » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am

We did have a water inspection before buying the house I’ll see if I can find the report. If not I’ll just have to get another one done. I’ll post the results if/when I find it
Seraki

Postby Auballagh » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 pm

The water you will be supplying this tank with is going to be very important. Especially when you're dealing with 900 gallons of it!
Having problems and fighting your tap water, is never a very good idea. :?
-
Stocking choices. Alrighty then, based off of what you have put up that interests you, i can give you some feedback already!
As follows,
- Geophagines: I would not mix the two species of Earth Eaters. A dominant male (probably emerging from the smaller-growing Tapajos group) will emerge and may wind up spawning with females from the other group. Plus, the G. winemilleri are a pretty sensitive species of Earth Eater. This species originates from Black Water habitats, and water that gets above 7.0 in PH in the tank will quickly lead to stress in this species. The Red Headed Tapajos, coming from a mix of both Black and White water conditions in the wild, are bit more adaptable to higher water PH conditions. ALL Earth Eaters are highly sensitive to Nitrate levels in the water. Anything above 20 PPM in the aquarium will almost certainly lead to all kinds of problems for those fish.
- Andinocara: If you want a milder aggression tank, I would just go with the Blue Acara, Andinocara pulcher. A single Green Terror, Andinocara rivulatus, will probably spawn with the Blue Acara's and may even put a beat down on those smaller, less aggressive fish in a display of conspecific aggression. These are problems easily avoided by stocking with only one Andinocara species in the tank.
- Red Shouldered Severum: I would add another 2 to 3 more individuals to the Heros sp. 'Rotkeil' group. In larger aquariums like yours, these social Cichlids will look very nice when kept in larger groups.
- Throw out the Threadfin acara, Acarichthys heckelii, and go with a REAL centerpiece Cichlid for this tank! I'm gonna recommend the good ol' Chocolate Cichlid, Hypselecara temporalis for your aquarium, because they are a large growing, peaceful species. (These easy-going 'budfies', can grow up to a foot in heavy-bodied length!).

-
Another suitable centerpiece Cichlid choice would be - of course - the good ol' tried & true Oscar, astronotus ocellatus. In a really big tank like yours, one of those is definitely sure to impress. (And besides, 'Oscar6' would probably be pretty dern upset if I didn't recommend this eponymous New World Cichlid species for your tank. :roll: ).
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Oscar6 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 am

Yes, an Oscar or two for sure. Something else to consider, given the room available... a six pack of Tinfoil barbs. I have a single large specimen who schools with my Silver dollars. He is wicked fast, and I would bet a small group would be very entertaining in a 12ft tank
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Return to South American Cichlids