South American Cichlids • 5ft (330litre/87gallon) geophagus community

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

5ft (330litre/87gallon) geophagus community

Postby Manacapuru19 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 am

Hi guys, I’m setting up a geophagus community and have recently come across a deal on eBay including a 150x45x61cm tank, a fluval fx6 and another large canister filter. This lept out to me initially for my geophagus community tank due to its length however I’m worried that the floor plan would be to small. I would love to keep either winemilleri or Sveni but worried the tank is too small for those. Would tapajos work in this tank?
Anyone have any advice or opinions?
Thanks so much
Manacapuru19

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 5ft (330litre/87gallon) geophagus community

Postby Auballagh » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:37 pm

Wow, you're really getting into this Earth Eater thing! :)
And, why not? They really are beautiful, New World Cichlids!
The aquarium you have found sounds interesting, but I am not going to give that one a 'thumbs up' for stocking with the larger-sized Geophagines you mentioned. While peaceful in large enough tanks, when placed in smaller aquariums these larger Earth Eaters can become stressed and unpredictable. And without enough room for females in the harem to get any distance from a potentially over-aggressive male... disaster could quickly result.
For stocking with those larger Earth Eaters you really should look at aquariums with a minimum length of 175 - 180 cm.
I do like the G. sveni a lot as a hardy choice for 'moving up' to. Found naturally in a range comprising both black and white water habitats, this species is tolerant of PH anywhere from 6.0 to 7.6 in the aquarium. The G. winemilleri unfortunately, can become stressed if kept in water with PH above 7.0 in the aquarium.
As for the 150 cm long tank? That would offer a nice improvement over your current 120 cm long (90 gallon?) aquarium. Your harem of Red Headed Tapajos will certainly appreciate the larger accommodations and will be happier in the larger aquarium. As I've stated before, the males of this mini Geophagus species tend to be the most irascible of the lot when maturity and full size is attained. Placing your harem in a bit larger aquarium will provide a nice safety margin for the females, if you unfortunately wind up with a goon for a male. :?
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Manacapuru19 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply Auballagh! I haven’t even got a 90 gallon with red heads yet; I have been taking my time to find the right tank and choose stocking carefully to try and get everything right. Unfortunately I have just missed out on the eBay tank so still on the look out ; I’m hoping to find a 5ft tank with a bit more depth to try and give a future shoal of red head tapajos and my existing keyholes as much room as possible to live in. Just out of curiosity, what species of geos or other SA cichlids do you keep?
Manacapuru19

Postby Auballagh » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 pm

You're always welcome. Keep asking those questions! :)
And well, I thought you already had that 90 gallon tank! Oh well. And, if you're still looking for that big aquarium? I wouldn't turn down a 180cm (6 foot) tank if one drops unexpectedly in your lap! And yes, if you have purchased the Tapajos Red Heads already? They would love to be placed in a six foot long tank! Otherwise, as I said earlier, the larger tank will open up some interesting possibilities for you to possibly get a harem of larger-growing Earth Eaters instead. Oh yeah... the 'Big Boys' are definitely worth getting!
So, what have I had?
Done lot's of research into Earth Eaters. But, I have only had the opportunity to keep a 1M - 5F harem of Panamanian WC Geophagus crassilabris. A rare species in the aquarium hobby. And, those things were just absolutely beautiful!
I mean c'mon, how cool is it when you have a dominant male Earth Eater in your aquarium that can do this?
-
-
Kept in a 680ltr, (180 X 60cm 'footprint'), they had plenty of room and were doing actually pretty well. Unfortunately, this is an extremely sensitive cichlid species - with very low to almost no Nitrate tolerance in the water. To keep the Nitrate level in their aquarium below 10 PPM, required doing twice-weekly, high volume water changes of around 80 to 90 percent! That sort of thing can be a bit of a Buzz Kill, y'know? So, almost 18 months after I got those, a fellow I had met a year or so earlier on a collecting trip to Honduras got waaayyy excited about prospect of buying them off me (for a princely sum...). Whew.... when they sold, my male was probably around 160 - 170mm in length. Females averaged around 110 to 130mm. That crazy guy traveled over 300 miles to get that group, and it was like an early Christmas or something for him. :roll:

I am definitely looking forward to getting another Geophagus group in the future. Gonna be some Big Boyz for me! G. altifrons would be great and I do like the G. sveni you mentioned above quite a lot.
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids