South American Cichlids • Stress?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Stress?

Postby Andy88 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:54 pm

My Oscars are looking off. I've been having a lot of power outages, and I'm not sure if it is causing this or if it's mood or what. Any thoughts?
Attachments
20210217_212213.jpg
20210217_212148.jpg
20210217_212150.jpg
Andy88

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stress?

Postby Auballagh » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:07 am

Your GTs look pretty good in the other photos. But, the color on your Oscars does look maybe a little faded. And yes, it may be because of the recent power outages with cooler temps in the tank they've experienced recently.
Hmmm... have you checked the water in the tank with a Nitrate test kit? Maybe the Nitrate level rose up a bit in there. I mean, if their mood doesn't improve and your Nitrates are good at around 20 PPM or so, I still would consider doing a high-percentage water change anyway.
Doing that always seems to perk a lot of fish up. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Re: Stress?

Postby Andy88 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:18 pm

We are under boil water advisory, so water change is out of the question right now...

24 consecutive hours with power at this point though. I just did a water test, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate.

My more submissive Oscar is always fairly pale- had been since I got him. I also suspect that he is a red Oscar rather than a tiger. But I know they are both considered Astronotus ocellatus and I don't mind. But the tiger Oscar is usually very vibrant black.

All tank behavior is 100% normal. It just threw me off... hopefully by Sunday (my big water change day) my tap water will be safe.
Andy88

Return to South American Cichlids