South American Cichlids • general questions 75G Oscar/JD tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: general questions 75G Oscar/JD tank

Postby Auballagh » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm

Oh, Plus One to 'Oscar6'.
-
His mention of those Phosphates brought to mind yet another option you could possibly consider. That is, a so-called 'Algae Scrubber'.

This is a picture of a freshwater Algae Scrubber in action!
They are a kind of a hybrid thing, that could be considered a cross between an actual High-Tech De-Nitrator and the admittedly more Low-Tech option of Live Plants. Are you handy? A capable DIY'er? There are many ways to make those things, and they all produce some benefits in eating Nitrates, Phosphates or other undesirable stuff from the water of your tank. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby tjcharnley » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:05 pm

been almost two weeks with the new fx4 canister hooked up and boy can I see a huge difference in water clarity. It is crystal clear. Both fish seem to really enjoy the current put off but the filter, but my question now is that I can't seem to get my nitrates under 20ppm even after doing a 50% or more water change. Is this a sign that the filter needs to be cleaned? Wasn't sure when I should first open the canister up with it being new to the tank. Also woke up this morning to there being #%$& all over the tank and it wasn't like that when I went to bed last night, is the filter full and throwing stuff out of it ? just concerned.
tjcharnley

Postby Auballagh » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:40 pm

Sometimes with new filters some initial bio-slime buildup can occur in the lines and other areas within the filter. The stuff can slough off and go flying around in the tank. If that's what happened, it's kinda unsightly but won't hurt anything. And usually after a day or two it's gone. But, it's always good to stay on top of things, esp. when they're a little bit new.
- I would break open the new canister filter. Once opened up, Inspect everything and rinse all of the media with aquarium water. Make sure nothing got pinched or folded up. Reassemble and it should be good-to-go.
- Have you tried putting a foam, intake pre-filter on your canister and HOB filter intakes?

Just use a rubber band if the foam pre-filter doesn't fit tight to the filter intake. These work great to extend the time between filter 'clean-downs', will enhance biological capacity by adding just a bit more surface area for beneficial bacteria to colonize and work great as improvised sponge filters if you lose power and are temporarily using battery powered air pumps. :)

https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ ... ailure.php

Plus, try measuring the Nitrate level twice. Both right before conducting a 50 percent (plus) water change, then immediately after. You'll see the actual results of your water change actions then. And definitely, keep the water change routine going! Those guys in there are just gonnna keep growing. You will probably want to do higher and higher percentage water changes in that never-ending fight against Nitrate buildup in the tank. The battle never ends, man..... :oops:
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby tjcharnley » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Okay I’ll open it up tonight. Just worried I would effect the filter setting up if I opened it too soon.
tjcharnley

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids