South American Cichlids • stocking ideas for a large tank with little-ish fish

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: stocking ideas for a large tank with little-ish fish

Postby fishybuisness » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Yeah, we are going to eu obrace the aquarium and make those caps out of plexi glass. I just thought I would look good with driftwood snags poking out.
fishybuisness

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Auballagh » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:23 pm

It would look VERY cool with driftwood snags poking above the surface of the water. 8)
Unfortunately, that will be a VERY big aquarium, and the management and keeping practices between this tank and for something much smaller in size, are definitely important.
-
I am totally fascinated by your idea of the planted 'plant plateau' things in this tank. I think you're on to something! So, I believe in order to make this work out in the larger scale size that you intend, you will need to accommodate your plants with some different planting schemes. And yes, to keep a safe separation from your dedicated soil sifters and diggers in there, you're gonna have to provide a combination of substrates in the tank that will keep everyone happy (including you!).
My plants love to put their roots down in high grade potting soil. It's nutrient rich, so i don't have to provide fertilizer tabs (Now THOSE things are indeed, aquarium 'Nitrate Factories'). And honestly, I just don't believe in using the high tech substrate stuff, without pushing CO2 to make it happen. Covering the potting soil, with a thick, 2 to 2.5 inch layer of small diameter gravel works great for plants. So, how about going with a much larger version of my recommendation for potting up your plants?
Check this out:

https://sparrowfoodsolutions.com/full-s ... gL50vD_BwE

That could be a fairly deep, plant tray! Or in this instance, a dedicated place for your plants to grow out of with a gravel substrate and plenty of small rocks strewn about on top of that to keep those diggers in there out of it. Black in color, these things should be pretty easy to mask and hide on the bottom. And, with large expanses of non-planted PFS provided in the tank for them to work over, why would they bother messing with the rocky, undesirable areas? And, if it works out like it has with the smaller potted plants in my own aquariums - your digging Cichlids will just avoid those gravelly/rocky areas altogether. The plants, Cichlids and YOU will all get pretty much what you want - everyone's happy! :D
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Stu W2 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 pm

fishybuisness wrote:Yeah, we are going to eu obrace the aquarium and make those caps out of plexi glass. I just thought I would look good with driftwood snags poking out.

It would look great. How far above the rim are you thinking? The cap I'm referring to would give you somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 inches.

I noted your reference to your parents. That leads me to think you might be a teenager and perhaps not yet old enough to have had much experience with large tanks. Meaning no offence, but if that is the case have you someone who has had such experience available to assist? A 72x18 footprint can be quite a handful for a novice. The dimensions you wrote of are much more than that. The placement/movement of the tank alone will be a major undertaking. Filtration will also be a factor to consider. Going with a sump?

Don't want to discourage you but wanted you to understand that a 250-280 gallon tank is not something that should be entered into without some serious consideration beforehand.

Wishing you nothing but success with your adventure.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks for the ideas everyone I will use some light gravely rocks on top of potted soil. With play sand surrounding this plateau, if that would work for the earth eaters? We are putting a 33-55gallon refugium or maybe a sump in this aquarium. My father has kept very large reef aquariums before, as well as my uncle I’m not going into this unprepared, but thanks for your concern :lol:.This will be a new experience, but I am by no means rushing into it. This aquarium means a lot to me so I am not just going ahead without thinking, I have been thinking researching this idea for years. Also yes I know what you mean with plexi glass caps and mine are going to be 4” tall roughly, so I may have some room for snags. the plateau that I mentioned previously is going to reach out of the sand maybe 2”, this will maybe be a 4”tall, 18”long, 60” long and be made of plexiglass. There will be a ring of rocks for the dwarf cichlids to hide in as well as other fish. All the driftwood and plants will be in this through but I would like 6 inches either side to accommodate the cichlids. How many other dwarf cichlids could I accommodate comfortably with the cupido I have my eyes on some a.macilensis, or red breasted Acara, I really don’t want this tank to be over stocked? I also have 6 Bolivian rams that are definitely going to be residents. Sorry for this long post, and thanks for your replies Auballagh and Stu W2. :fish:
fishybuisness

Postby Oscar6 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:37 pm

Beware that even at 1/4in thick, plexiglass will warp and twist from tank heat and humidity
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:37 pm

The plexiglass we’re going for is probably going to come in around 0.75 cm thick, is that still to thin? We could use glass.
fishybuisness

Postby Oscar6 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:08 pm

Have you priced a sheet of 75mm plexiglass? Could be a few hundred bucks. Shame to have it go funky after that expense. Another plexi drawback imo, it scratches easily, becomes somewhat opaque with age and overall looks crappy after a time. Advantage is lightweight, but who cares when dealing with a setup approaching 3000 lbs?
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Deeda » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:25 pm

What are these plastic/plexi caps you are talking about?
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi, everyone the plexiglass caps were supposed to give this aquarium some extra height, for snags but still being contained.I think I will skip that idea. We have a few connections to people who make plexiglass shields, but I have not gotten an estimate. I will definitely just use glass, because of the faults that oscar6 pointed out.
fishybuisness

Postby Stu W2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:27 pm

Deeda wrote:What are these plastic/plexi caps you are talking about?

I'm unable to find a good image to attach but basically it's a raised lid (cap) that sits several inches above the height of the aquarium. Depending upon the sidewall dimension choice they can sit up several inches to provide clearance for aquascaping.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby Stu W2 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:32 pm

[quote="fishybuisness"] ... My father has kept very large reef aquariums before, as well as my uncle I’m not going into this unprepared, but thanks for your concern :lol:.This will be a new experience, but I am by no means rushing into it. This aquarium means a lot to me so I am not just going ahead without thinking, I have been thinking researching this idea for years. ...

Good to know! =D> If you've got a well seasoned reef crew at your disposal all should go well. I'm looking forward to photos of your build as things progress.

Regards,
Stu
Stu W2

Postby fishybuisness » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:13 pm

back to the stocking. as auballagh pointed out i do not want to over stock it, and have less species. so what about this for a stocking list?
- 10-15 b. cupido or another smaller earth-eater
- 6 bolivian rams, plus 4-6 half grown ones in my aquarium right now
- 9-12 apistogramma macelinsis 3m 6-9 females
- and/or 1 to 2 trio(s) red breasted acara or laetacara dosigera
- 20-40 cardinal tetras
- 10-15 red pencils maybe? this is already a lot.
- 2 albino bristlenose plecos.
too much? let me know, also i have attached some drawings of this aquarium.
Attachments
3B83BB76-E0F7-4D0D-9466-7606193AB849.jpeg
this is a cross serction of the imagined aquarium, sorry for poor artistry
43F713D1-CABA-4663-8559-2CDF8F5CFB6E.jpeg
this is a birds eye view of a 1:64 scaled design.
fishybuisness

Postby Auballagh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:51 pm

Yes.
LESS SPECIES - MORE FISH.
-
And yes, the species and stocking numbers you would like to put in this monster tank, look pretty good.
-
-
Plus, you have a PM..... 'PADAWON'. :)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby fishybuisness » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:53 pm

hey everyone i was going to purchase a trio or 2 of laetacara dosigera but it has come to my attention that the online shop i was going to purchase from also carries laetacara araguaiae, this species is not profileed in the CF catalouge i realize that this species has not been poularized very much compared to other laetacra species. i am wondering if they would also be good fish in this aquarium! thanks, here is an image of one that
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 74 times
fishybuisness

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids