South American Cichlids • Juvenile Oscars About to die

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Juvenile Oscars About to die

Postby kramacha17 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:36 pm

i have 2 juvenile oscars in a 55 gallon. they have white stringy poop which i presumed to be internal parasite. now they also hve hole in the head bout 3 weeks after the white poop never stopped. for the past month they have been hardly eating. the only thing they nibble now is New Life Thera A. i tried many things. aggresive water changes, now finally i am giving API General Cure directly through pipette but i seriously doubt they are going to survice.

i just want to know if theres any other suggestions? also, in the worst case scenario if they do pass, how do i go about cleaning the filter (Fluval f6) and a sponge filter so no parasite spreads? i do have 2 plecos in the tank that are fine. I will also be upgrading them to 110g after.

thanks for any suggestions in advance
1 - Convict; 2 - Firemouth cichlids
1 - Juv Green Terror, 1 - Juv J Dempsey
4 - Geophagus Brasiliensis + 40 fry
4 - Geophagus Tapajos; 3 - Angelfish
5 - juvenile Clown; 2 YoYo Loaches; 3 - Leopard Corydoras
kramacha17

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Juvenile Oscars About to die

Postby Auballagh » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear this. And yes, it does sound pretty ominous for the Oscars. Heroic efforts at keeping them alive will depend a lot on how much you want to invest in what may wind up being a lost cause at this point.... :(
If you're determined to make a big attempt to save them? Here's what I would do. Other recommendations may vary....
- Move the apparently unaffected Plecos into quarantine. Depending on how large they are, you may be able to site them in a 10 gallon tank. 20 gallon? Don't put them in anything fancy - bare glass bottom tank and some broken (sterilized-boiled) terracotta plant pots to hide in. Conduct water changes twice per week, minimum (depending on tank size and size of the Plecos) and observe them both closely.
- Clean out and discard all substrate for the 55G Oscar tank. Go with a bare, glass bottom for that tank also. Provide maybe a couple sterilized plastic plants in the tank for the Oscars to hide down behind. All filtration gets cleaned/rinsed thoroughly with their tank water. Conduct an initial, 75 - 80% water change and add 1/3'rd cup of non-iodized, Kosher salt to the fill water. Raise the heat up to 82 degrees. Conduct daily, 75 - 80% water changes and keep adding a 1/3'rd cup of Epsom salt to the dechloramined fill water. Your Oscars appetite will either improve pretty quickly, and they will rally after a few days. Or unfortunately, they will both die.
-
Regardless what happens, I would eventually sterilize the filter media for the 55G. Using hot, chlorinated water (rubber gloves level of heat) to fully rinse out the sponge filter followed by complete dessication over a two-week period, should ensure everything is dead in it. Same technique is applied for the Fluval foam media. Discard and replace any ceramic media. Rebuild bacteria colony for both filters by running on a 'safe' unaffected tank. With 'inoculation' by established filter media, that process may take two-three weeks to get a full beneficial bacteria population back in both filters.
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:38 am

Edit!
Sorry - It's NOT 'Epsom Salt'.
It's all non-iodized Kosher Salt at 1/3rd cup addition levels, for treatment of your Oscars.
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby kramacha17 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:04 am

thank you so much for that.
i dont have a spare 10g. i guess ill have to buy one and setup for the plecos. or would a bucket work?
one of them is small still about 4-4.5 inc. the big one is easily 8 inch long. so bucket is probably better??

and as far as the 55g tank goes. how many days should i do this process for??
kramacha17

Postby kramacha17 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:15 am

never mind i have a tote. ill move them to the tote
kramacha17

Postby Auballagh » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:25 pm

This plan sounds good. Just set up and treat the plastic tote thing like you would a full-up aquarium.
- Give your catfish stuff to hide in.
- Provide heat.
- Provide established filtration (A cycling tank could kill already sick fish with stress)
- 50% plus water changes twice weekly, minimum.
-
As for as the sick Oscars go? Like I said going into this, it's a heroic effort on your part at this point to get them back. You end treatment when they both show noticeable improvement, and their health is visibly recovered.
Or unfortunately... when they're dead.
There's just not much middle ground there, once you're committed to this thing. :(
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby fishboy75 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:09 pm

Some great information here on treating fish that won't eat. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/foru ... us.523470/
fishboy75

Postby kramacha17 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:17 am

Auballagh wrote:This plan sounds good. Just set up and treat the plastic tote thing like you would a full-up aquarium.
- Give your catfish stuff to hide in.
- Provide heat.
- Provide established filtration (A cycling tank could kill already sick fish with stress)
- 50% plus water changes twice weekly, minimum.
-
As for as the sick Oscars go? Like I said going into this, it's a heroic effort on your part at this point to get them back. You end treatment when they both show noticeable improvement, and their health is visibly recovered.
Or unfortunately... when they're dead.
There's just not much middle ground there, once you're committed to this thing. :(

got late at work and just got home and im half dead. i will do the move tomorrow. in the manwhile, good news. red oscars hole seems more like a scar today. both their tummy is still almost flat which is very sad to see. and the albino had half normal and half white stringy poop today. could be everything emptying in the intestine and about to die or they both recovering from the API G Cure meds. ill do the whole pleco quarantine + water change process tomorrow and thinking of dosing another G Cure tomorrow. h

will share some pics after the set up. thanks again for the ideas.
kramacha17

Return to South American Cichlids