South American Cichlids • what to do with aggressive apisto

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

what to do with aggressive apisto

Postby fishybuisness » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm

hey all, i have a trio of a.agassizii in a 20 gallon tall (yes i know its a lot, but i got an extra female to disperse agression) anyways now the original female is very agressive to the one i got more recently, i re-aranged the aquarium and re-introduced them all at the same time. i have a 48 gallon aquarium 48", 12", 18" that has 6 bolivian rams, 2 macmasteri, and a few misc tetras. anyway i was wondering instead of getting rid of one of the female aggies that i would move the macmasteri to the 20g and the aggies to the 48, this is only for a short period of time maybe 5 months max. in a 48 inch aquarium would it be okay to keep the trio together? Thanks for any input!

tldr: would agression transfer over to a much bigger aquarium, or should i just return a fish? :?
fishybuisness

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: what to do with aggressive apisto

Postby Auballagh » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Annoying when they do that, hmmm?
I like the idea of transferring your A. gassizii into a bigger aquarium. The 20G 'Tall' is a pretty small-sized tank anyway, even for Apistos. For the transfer, I would get even ANOTHER female A. gassizii so you have a 1M/3F harem, and then place them all at the same time into the larger aquarium, (A 20G 'long' may actually provide enough 'footprint' space long-term, to keep everyone happy).
Provide plenty of live or artificial plants, plus rocks and bog wood etc to break up those sight lines. And, stock with peaceful, smaller Tetras. By doing that hopefully everyone should calm down and 'sort of' get along in there. :roll:
-
Wow... my 4000'th post?!! Geeze, time flies when yer having fun on Cichlid-forum! :popcorn:
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids