South American Cichlids • 125g JD+GT tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

125g JD+GT tank

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:30 am

Hello guys/girls. I have set up a 125g New world Cichlid tank. It is currently fishless, with my new filter running in my 90g Malawi tank. I have my heart set on having a single Green Terror, and a single Jack Dempsey. What other fish would be compatible in this tank? I’m edging towards a small group of Silver Dollars ( maybe 6-10 fish) but apart from the GT and JD am fairly open to ideas. I don’t want an overcrowded tank, I will be buying all as Juveniles. I’m just here to have some ideas fired my way. Thanks!
TomTheCichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 125g JD+GT tank

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:32 am

I have never been able to keep JD and GT together. Consider that store bought GT is most likely a Saum/Acara blend and just isn't on the aggression level of a Dempsey. They are also colored somewhat similar, which often leads to aggression. With a Dempsey, you may have better luck adding a Convict or Nicaraguan. With GT some Silver Dollars would certainly liven things up. A Severum would also do well with GT. Never any certainties mixing cichlids. Trial and error is often the path. Good luck!
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks for the reply. It’s a really tricky one. People say you cannot add JD,GT together. Others say they work really well. Fishkeeping is a very subjective hobby, mainly because every fish personality is different, different set ups, tank sizes etc leading to different experiences. The main reason I don’t want to ‘overstock’ with the bigger fish is because I want them to feel comfortable having there own territories within the glass.

It’s a massive trial and error situation. I think I have a chance adding them both at juveniles, say an inch or so... on the same note I’ve seen things go wrong with these 2 Also. All information is fully absorbed however so thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Stocking wise, whether they work together or not. Does that seem a sensible amount of fish that I’m aiming for in a 125g? I’m used to Malawi and you can get away with being so overstocked it’s scary!
TomTheCichlid

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:26 pm

You have a good grasp on cichlid keeping it seems. You haven't said, but this 125 is a 6ft tank? If yes then imo it will house a pair of medium sized fish easily. I personally dislike 4 ft tanks as community tanks. Footprint is more important than volume. I have always found the notion of fish being buddies just because they are raised together to be mostly false. As they grow and gain confidence, natural aggression and territorial instincts kick in. The fish you have in mind grow fairly slowly, as do Silver Dollars, so you will probably have a decent amount of time to see how it goes. Again, good luck.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Yes it’s 120g, 6 foot long. I have a hospital tank I can use to house a psycho until I can rehome if I need to! I’m fairly experienced with cichlids in as much as I’ve owned Mbuna/Haps/Peacocks for a good few years now! Thanks for your help Oscar6! Any knowledge or info I can gain from you all is greatly appreciated!
TomTheCichlid

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Once again, I have to back 'Oscar6' on his recommendations to you. I agree, the Jack Dempsey or the Green Terror seems to be the central choice.
You could have a 'supporting cast' for either, but I'm not too keen on keeping them both together. And yes, long-term my money would definitely be on the JD. And that would be a shame - Green Terror's when kept as the dominant cichlid in an aquarium, can be jaw dropping at full size!
And no.... a New World tank stocked properly with compatible Cichlids, will NEVER look the same as a stuffed out, hurly-burly Mbuna tank! Nope. But, that is part of the charm of keeping very different biotope aquariums, right? 8)
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:42 pm

Indeed!

I have been speaking to others and have come up with this stocking list? Please let me know if you see any problems.

1m JD
1f JD
4 FM cichlids
6 swordtails
TomTheCichlid

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:12 pm

No, I personally wouldn't stock the 125G tank with those fish. But well, to each his own I suppose.... :roll:
I mean whew....
Sure, a spawning pair of Jack Dempsey's will probably work out just fine, long-term with each other in that 6 foot long tank. That situation is gonna put a world of pain on everyone else kept in there with them, though (The Sword Tails will just eventually become interesting snacks for your JDs). May I offer a couple alternate stocking schemes?
Have you heard of a nasty piece of work called the Astyanx fasciatus mexicanus tetra (AFM)? I had the opportunity to collect these wonderful fin, scale and (human hair!) nipper/destroyers out of both Honduras and Mexico. They're pretty big (past 6 inches in many cases), fast as lightning, and are no strangers to aggression. They look a bit like a dusky/washed out version of the Buenos Aires Tetra, actually. And I completely understand why no one would want these irascible 'dither' fish in the hobby.....
Ahhhh, but when keeping with New World cichlids, in a minimum 6 foot long tank (escape room)? I've never found any dither fish species that can handle that level of Cichlid aquarium aggression better!
Some (off-beat?) stocking schemes to consider:"
1) 1 spawning pair of JDs, with 14 to 18 AFM.
2) The New World, all-male 'Bro' tank! 8 - 12 AFM with 1 JD, 1 Salvini, 1 Convict and 1 Firemouth. Place 2 or 3 empty Port Royal Pilsner (brewed in Honduras!) bottles down in there for atmosphere, and enjoy the Cichlid Dude Lifestyle! :D
Note: The Buenos Aires Tetra could be substituted for the AFM. But be warned, they are not near as tough a Tetra species as AFM.
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 pm

This is the problem you see. Everyone has different views on what will and won’t work!

Am I better off with a JD+GT combo or 2 JD?
TomTheCichlid

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Have you seen the color on a spawning pair of Jack Dempsey's? :o
I would totally go with the pair of JDs and stock with a LOAD of mean/fast/big tetras as dither fish, for the happy couple to pre-occupy themselves with and attack in that tank (the tetras will help to keep the male from eventually turning on and attacking the female JD).
Should work out great! :)
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:37 pm

I doubt I’ll be able to find AFM here in the Uk. What other smaller fish would you reccomebd? Thanks for the help!
TomTheCichlid

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:52 pm

The Buenos Aires Tetra is a decent second choice for dither fish. Stock with a LOT of them! You could also consider the Silver Dollar. A more fragile species, they can't handle much contact (cichlid beatings)... but they are also extremely fast.
Oh, and as alternate, around 12 inch long growing Cichlid species you could possibly consider for stocking as a pair instead of the JDs in your 6 foot long tank?
- Black Belt Cichlid, (Paraneetroplus maculicauda). A bit rarer to find in the hobby than the JD, they are SHOCKINGLY Beautiful when spawning! :o
- Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatus). Still a bit rare in the hobby - it's really all about those speckles! Ahhh man... and I swear, those things freaking GLOW when spawning!
-
Ahhhh yes... so many choices. It's kind of a great problem to have, y'know? :lol:
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:57 pm

Oh it’s a great problem to have for sure! I’m excited. Too excited for a fully grown man but never mind! :lol:

I like silver dollars A LOT. How many would be ideal with 2 JDs?
TomTheCichlid

Postby Auballagh » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:09 pm

You will need a LOT to more safely distribute the aggro and attacks from the spawning JDs. The Silver Dollar is actually from SA... But what the heck, so is the Buenos Aires tetra! I would stock with anywhere from 16 to 20 of either of them. Seriously! You could possibly stock with a mix of both fish species. That would be 10 - 12+ of either species for a total of 20 to 22 dither fish.
IF you are actually able to find some AFM? I would go with no more than 16 of those larger growing tetras.
NOTE: Giant Danios are also something to consider. An Asian species, yes.... but they are also extremely fast and can usually handle Cichlid aggression (beatings) pretty well. Oh, and no more than 16 of those larger type dither fish, if that is your choice.
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby TomTheCichlid » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:12 pm

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge
TomTheCichlid

Next

Return to South American Cichlids