South American Cichlids • My red spotted severum just died! Need help with diagnosis

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

My red spotted severum just died! Need help with diagnosis

Postby aahren10 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:48 pm

I woke up this morning and turned on my lights to my 75 gallon aquarium and I noticed my Severum was belly up, eyes a tad cloudy, and fins somewhat tattered. He was still alive and barely holding on, so I places him in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone and his tank water. He died around two hours after the fact, but I thought he may have had a chance because he had a little more pep when I placed him in a separate bucket, but he was still rough. I was shocked and very confused because he was a perfectly healthy fish before this morning and overnight this happened. I just did a large water change a few days prior and all my other fish are in perfect health. The water is clear and clean and I don’t over feed them. He was the king of the tank and never got picked on as well. Is it possible he ran into the glass and had brain damage? The last time I intorduced new fish to the tank was months ago so I ruled out an introduced disease. And help would be appreciated!
aahren10

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: My red spotted severum just died! Need help with diagnos

Postby Auballagh » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:48 pm

I am so sorry that happened. On Christmas? That's terrible, man! :x
The cause of your dead fish is a mystery to me. as well. I mean, how old was your Severum? It's very strange for one to just die like that... esp. if it was dominant and everyone else in the tank seems to be perfectly happy and healthy in there.
The Only Sight More Melancholy Than A Battle Won?
~ Is A Battle Lost.....~
Duke Of Wellington, 1815
Auballagh

Postby aahren10 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Yea I was distraught to see it on Christmas put me in a mood lol. He was only around 3, it’s terrible
aahren10

Postby Auballagh » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:05 am

Much respect Bro'. And, I definitely feel you on the mood. That Severum was too young to die.
Maybe someone has got something about this? Seriously, I'm mystified as to why this one died... I mean really, I got nothing.
-
A Severum dominated tank is unusual - and actually kinda awesome. Severum are one of those unusual SA cichlids that can mix with a huge amount of both SA AND CA Cichlids in an aquarium. 'Typically' stocked as the less dominant cichlid with Green Terrors. In that theme however, I've both heard and seen, plus stocked many of my own aquariums with Severum along with Jack Dempseys, Oscars, Red Devils, 'False Red Devils, Texas Cichlids, Pike Cichlids and others....
-
-
Oh man.... You know, you really should stock that aquarium with another Severum, right? :fish:
The Only Sight More Melancholy Than A Battle Won?
~ Is A Battle Lost.....~
Duke Of Wellington, 1815
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids