South American Cichlids • Will this work long term?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Will this work long term?

Postby 1020thirty » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Hey, I have just got 2 oscar fish for my 75-gallon aquarium. One albino tiger and One tiger. When I did research online and when I went to a local fish store there were a lot of differing opinions on whether or not this will work long term. I plan to add oxygen pumps as they get older. It may help to know that I have more than sufficient aquarium filtration for these guys long term as I have an Eheim 2215 and an Aquaclear 110.
1020thirty

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Will this work long term?

Postby ken31cay » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:09 pm

Oscars can get 12" or larger. I have two 2" Oscars in my 180gal (72" x 24") and will need to wait and see how they can make it together in there when they get bigger. I've never tried it but I'm not sure I would keep even one adult sized Oscar in a 75gal.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal Oscars, Severum
ken31cay

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Quick answer is no, it won't work. Many factors, the main being the tank is far too small. Oscars are very sensitive to iffy water quality, and two quick growing, big bioload cichlids will decay 75 g very quickly. Second is compatibility. Never a guarantee with most any cichlid, but having Oscars cohabitate is rather rare on my experience. That's over 50 yrs of Oscar keeping. My recommendation for a MINIMUM tank for two Oscars is a 72x18 footprint and 125 gals. Well cared for, genetically strong Oscars can exceed a foot long and 2 lbs by their first birthday. Can you realistically expect a fish like that to live long in a tiny 75 g tank? Two of them? Won't happen. Cruel to the fish, stressful to you trying to make it work. You need another game plan
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby sir_keith » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:35 pm

1020thirty wrote: ...It may help to know that I have more than sufficient aquarium filtration for these guys long term as I have an Eheim 2215 and an Aquaclear 110...

That's barely adequate filtration for a 75 unlss you're just keeping tetras... :o
sir_keith

Postby 1020thirty » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:48 pm

Okay, thanks for all the help, when I went to my local fish store the guy who worked there, insisted that it would work. I will take them back as soon as I can sadly, I really liked them and it sucks to hear that but it would just be cruel to keep them any longer. Also, my HOB filter is rated for a 110 gallon and my canister for a 95 gallon. Do you guys think that I should get a flowerhorn or mbunas or peacocks?
1020thirty

Postby Oscar6 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Pay no attention to filter ratings. It's all about fish stock and bioload. You have tons of options for stocking a 75. It's just not enough for very big cichlids. Look for something that tops out at 10 ins or less. Simple and popular fish, easy to keep is a Jack Dempsey. A group of Mbuna or Peacocks may overwhelm your filtration. Your canister and hob will do just fine with a single medium sized cichlid, or even a few smaller ones. Look at Firemouth or Convicts. 5-7 ins, easy to keep
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Oscar6 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:32 pm

One other suggestion. You may want to avoid that particular fish store. You got very bad advice. Stick to a quality forum with experienced members that don't want your money,lol
Oscar6

Postby 1020thirty » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:44 pm

Okay, thank you so much for the advice. I am unable to take them back as my parents have told me that we can't return them but that when they get 7inches I can sell them to the store. I am pretty new to this hobby so it's great to get advice from people with experience. Would you recommend blue acaras?
1020thirty

Postby Auballagh » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello!
Once again 'Oscar6' has definitely delivered the goods in advice, and I wholeheartedly support his recommendations to you.
Sorry about the Oscars.... I believe you COULD keep just one of them in that 75G - and nothing else! So be careful, the 'pet dogs' of the fish world have a tendency to win you over, man. Almost irresistible, in fact! They are pretty awesome to keep as an individual, so-called 'wet pet'. Oh, and here's something to consider about filtration. It really wouldn't matter much, even if you added a 950 GPH wet/dry sump filter system to this tank. I mean sure, with filtration like that, your water oxygenation would be great. But unfortunately, those Nitrates produced by the organic breakdown cycle, would still build up at the same fast rate. And if the Nitrate levels get too high in there? That poor water quality will quickly cause Max Stress in an Oscar.... you'll be in for all kinds of disease and trouble. So, if you do decide to keep JUST ONE of those awesome Oscars?
Be advised: In less than a year you're definitely gonna be pushing some water, to dilute/flush-out those Nitrates built up by the single Oscar from your aquarium, (get a Nitrate test kit!).
-
And yes, to FINALLY answer your question - a compatible pair of Blue Acaras should work out just fine in your 75G tank. :roll:
The Only Sight More Melancholy Than A Battle Won?
~ Is A Battle Lost.....~
Duke Of Wellington, 1815
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids