South American Cichlids • Convict cichlids in a 55gal, what else sound i add?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Convict cichlids in a 55gal, what else sound i add?

Postby Allen_wilk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Hello, I have recently got a 55-gallon Cichlid aquarium which currently holds 3 convicts, 2 pictus catfish, and 2 giant danios. I am looking for more cichlids to keep in my tank, but I know that convicts are usually aggressive towards other cichlids. What other cichlids do you recommend me having, maybe some firemouths?
Allen_wilk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Convict cichlids in a 55gal, what else sound i add?

Postby sir_keith » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm

As long as the convicts and firemouths are similarly sized, they should tolerate each, at least when they're not spawning. Good luck. :fish:
sir_keith

Postby Allen_wilk » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:20 pm

Thanks so much, also if I add around 3 firemouths, should I add more cichlids of different species, like salvini, later when the tank is more developed or stick with convict and firemouth for good.
Allen_wilk

Postby sir_keith » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pm

In my view, the convicts and firemouths should be just about right for a 55; I wouldn't any more species. :thumb:
sir_keith

Postby Auballagh » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:10 am

Agree with all....
So, it looks like we really just want an interesting, active community tank here? Hmmmmmm.... with that said, (and what you already have in this tank) I would be ready to pull out a couple of your Convicts. And I would personally keep a single MALE Convict in this tank. Whew.... a spawning pair of Convicts is GUARANTEED to wreck a 55G community tank! :o
-
Oh, and when the two extra Convicts go out? I would then add a single Firemouth to that mix, plus another giant Danio or two... and then sit back, enjoy the show. :popcorn:
The Only Sight More Melancholy Than A Battle Won?
~ Is A Battle Lost.....~
Duke Of Wellington, 1815
Auballagh

Postby Haplochromine guy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:12 pm

My opinion without reading but scanning I see that both fish are Convicts and Firemouths...? Sounds reaonable to me although I read from some recently written book I am not sure how accurate this is that Firemouths tend to like hard water. Aside from that I could probably keep them in a 55 gallon tank. he only thing I am worried about is the size of the Cichlids because they are 5 inch fish I agree with Auballagh one Male but I don't know enough about why he said that I just think cause they are big Cichlids Big Cichlid males = hate each other = bunch of dead male Cichlids so that's why I agree with Auballagh. Really I like your thinking Auballagh sir_kieths idea with aggression is good you do not want to have spawning Cichlids with other Cichlids It gets ugly. If you really wanted to you could try just a convict tank... no harm in that. My recommendation though Firemouths: :) Jack Dempseys: :? Red Deviles :) (caution)Oscars: :( I do not know any other large S/A Cichlids very well sadly.
Haplochromine guy

Postby Auballagh » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Yeah, pretty much what 'Haplochromine Guy' says.
The reason I recommend keeping a single male Convict, is that for an individual of this species I personally think they offer a bit 'more' fish to look at than female Convicts do.
- A bit larger size.
- That nuchal hump!
- Long, flowing dorsal and anal fins.
The male convict is a pretty fish! And the reason I suggested the Firemouth, is that in four foot long tanks with other/dither fish swimming around - an individual Convict and Firemouth will tend to get along pretty good together. The Danios will definitely help in providing distractions for both of them to keep an eye on in there. Plus, neither cichlid will behave or look much like the other one. And, both of these cichlids look pretty awesome when adult sizes are attained.
A nice community tank! 8)
The Only Sight More Melancholy Than A Battle Won?
~ Is A Battle Lost.....~
Duke Of Wellington, 1815
Auballagh

Return to South American Cichlids