South American Cichlids • Stocking ideas for 100g

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking ideas for 100g

Postby Abby » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I’ve just bought a 100g tank with a large sump and will soon be ready to add stock but am unsure of how many and which will be compatible having never kept larger cichlids, only dwarfs.
I’m thinking of red head tapajo, firemouths and gold severum, electric blue acara- possibly convicts? Would this be a good mix and if so how many of each would be ideal? If not, what would your suggestions be? I have black sand substrate and intend to have lots of driftwood, caves and plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abby

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking ideas for 100g

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:30 am

The Geos, Eba and Sev should be ok together. I would avoid the CA fish, especially in a smallish tank. Convicts, regardless of their small size can be relentless with aggression
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Abby » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Oscar6 wrote:The Geos, Eba and Sev should be ok together. I would avoid the CA fish, especially in a smallish tank. Convicts, regardless of their small size can be relentless with aggression
Ok, convicts are out then. I wouldn’t call 100g smallish tho, it seems huge to me! I thought firemouths were relatively peaceful, what numbers of each would be appropriate? I don’t want just a handful of fish in such a large space, would rather choose alternatives if necessary for a busier community.

Abby

Postby sir_keith » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:02 pm

I think you're going to find that a 100g is not so large once these fishes grow out- I have friends with large cichlids that use 100's as sumps! I like the idea of a small group of one of the more docile Geo species, perhaps mixed with a second species with a similar temperament. If you want a 'community,' you'd be better off going with smaller, more peaceful species.
sir_keith

Postby Abby » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 pm

sir_keith wrote:I think you're going to find that a 100g is not so large once these fishes grow out- I have friends with large cichlids that use 100's as sumps! I like the idea of a small group of one of the more docile Geo species, perhaps mixed with a second species with a similar temperament. If you want a 'community,' you'd be better off going with smaller, more peaceful species.
Your friends must live in very large houses! When I say community I don’t mean mixed variety fish, more that I like a busy aquarium if that makes sense, but I do want it to be relatively peaceful and I don’t want anything huge. The cichlids I listed in my post are all supposedly peaceful according to online species profiles apart from the convicts- I thought they may be ok with larger fish but that’s why I’m posting here to hear from people who actually own them!
What would you suggest with a similar temperament to the geos?

Abby

Postby Oscar6 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Keep in mind that in the cichlid world, a busy tank is often a battlefield. Most species are quite territorial. Tank dimensions are often more important than volume. What are the measurements of this 100 g?
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Abby » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Oscar6 wrote:Keep in mind that in the cichlid world, a busy tank is often a battlefield. Most species are quite territorial. Tank dimensions are often more important than volume. What are the measurements of this 100 g?
47”W, 24”h, 21.5” d

Abby

Postby ken31cay » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:29 pm

Abby wrote:47”W, 24”h, 21.5” d

Can be considered a 'large' tank for dwarf cichlids but you will need to be aware of the adult size of other fish you stock.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby Abby » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:31 pm

I’m now thinking of just blue acara and severum, what numbers/ ratios would work?

Abby

Return to South American Cichlids