South American Cichlids • 65 gallon stocking ideas - severum and EBA

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

65 gallon stocking ideas - severum and EBA

Postby Meenamma » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:20 pm

Newbie here. Would really appreciate some input on stocking my new65 gallon (48 by 18 by 18 inches) tank. Here is what I was thinking -
1x red shoulder severum
2x Electric Blue Acara
2x G Tapajos
4-6 boesemani

Would this work? Any other suggestions? Thank you!
Meena
Meenamma

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 65 gallon stocking ideas - severum and EBA

Postby fishboy75 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi, sorry no one has responded to you earlier. I think you would be better off with 2 out of 3 of those cichlids in that size tank. The severum and geos get a good size. Tapajos seem to do better in groups of 5 or more which wouldn't work in that size tank. I would lean towards the Severum and the Acaras. The Boesmani should be fine in there as well. Good luck!
fishboy75

Postby Meenamma » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 pm

Fishboy75, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, appreciate your feedback! I’m setting up my tank next week, so will definitely take your suggestion into account. I guess Ill have to get the Geos once I have a bigger tanks. Thanks!
Meenamma

Postby sir_keith » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:21 pm

A severum will eventually outgrow that tank, but the acaras are a good choice. Good luck!
sir_keith

Postby Meenamma » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:48 pm

sir_keith wrote:A severum will eventually outgrow that tank, but the acaras are a good choice. Good luck!

Thanks Sir_keith. Something to think about. As an alternative to the severum, Would angelfish be suitable instead? Maybe 2-3?
Meenamma

Postby sir_keith » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:27 pm

Meenamma wrote:Thanks Sir_keith. Something to think about. As an alternative to the severum, Would angelfish be suitable instead? Maybe 2-3?

That may or may not work. Angels will appreciate such a tall tank, but no matter how many of them you start out with, eventually you will end up with a pair who want the whole upper tank for themselves. Conversely, the acaras will also want their own space, and may or may not leave the angels in peace; I've seen it work both ways. I think you need to decide which species is your top priority, and pick tankmates accordingly. If you want the acaras, I don't think angels are the best tankmates in an aquarium of this size, and it might be best to chose non-cichlid fishes as dithers. If you want the angels primarily, I'd pick relatively peaceful tankmates, perhaps Keyholes or Bolivian Rams. Just my opinion. :)
sir_keith

Postby Meenamma » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:14 pm

Definitely prefer to start with the EBA. Will work on the tank around that. Thanks for the helpful feedback. M
Meenamma

Postby Meenamma » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi, I decided to upgrade to a 130 instead. Will check the forum for stocking options for that, or start a new thread. Thanks!

sir_keith wrote:
Meenamma wrote:Thanks Sir_keith. Something to think about. As an alternative to the severum, Would angelfish be suitable instead? Maybe 2-3?

That may or may not work. Angels will appreciate such a tall tank, but no matter how many of them you start out with, eventually you will end up with a pair who want the whole upper tank for themselves. Conversely, the acaras will also want their own space, and may or may not leave the angels in peace; I've seen it work both ways. I think you need to decide which species is your top priority, and pick tankmates accordingly. If you want the acaras, I don't think angels are the best tankmates in an aquarium of this size, and it might be best to chose non-cichlid fishes as dithers. If you want the angels primarily, I'd pick relatively peaceful tankmates, perhaps Keyholes or Bolivian Rams. Just my opinion. :)
Meenamma

Return to South American Cichlids