South American Cichlids • Concerned about my oscar.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Concerned about my oscar.

Postby mommatash0512 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 pm

When I got him 2 years ago he was about an inch long and all chewed up from the other oscars. We weren't sure if he was even going to make it but with lots of TLC and his determination to live he did and has been healthy ever since although he is smaller than I expected. That may have something to do with all that energy going in to healing though I've been told. So now for what I'm concerned about. We upgraded tanks like 3 months ago now. He started jumping at the glass lids and slapping his tail against the glass. Before we switched tanks he was white with a bit of orange and orange eyes. In the last week he has these dark spots. Should I worry? If so what should I do to fix it?
Attachments
20200921_133109.jpg
20200921_133152.jpg
mommatash0512

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Concerned about my oscar.

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Your Oscar looks fine. Most important thing to do for it is keep water as clean as possible. Jumping and splashing is not uncommon. What size tank is it in now?
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby mommatash0512 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:45 pm

The current tank is a 90 gallon.
mommatash0512

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:20 pm

90g is decent. Looks to be a barren tank though? No substrate, no deco?Oscar likes to dig, push things around. His splashing and jumping may be from plain boredom. I suggest a thin layer of gravel, maybe a couple larger rocks, piece of driftwood. Spruce the place up a bit,lol. What do you normally do for water changes?
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby mommatash0512 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:02 pm

I took the pictures during a tank clean. I just hadn't put everything back yet. He won't tolerate rocks on the bottom. He swims to the top with the river rocks (Used so he doesn't try to swallow them) and spits them over the edge in the gap where the filters are. Decor was being washed and had yet to be put back in. He is picky. He does have stuff in there. I just notice the spots were darker and though okay now I really have to ask someone. I've never had one this color. We've only had tigers before.
mommatash0512

Return to South American Cichlids