South American Cichlids • Stocking Ideas for a 180 gallon SA Tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking Ideas for a 180 gallon SA Tank

Postby MZ.H20 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I look forward to interacting with you all and learning a lot!

About 8 years ago I was given a 180-gallon aquarium with a sump tank by a relative. I had the tank running for about 3 years, and during that time I kept African cichlids. Unfortunately, when I moved I had to rehome all of my fish and step away from the hobby for a while because I no longer had room for such a large aquarium at my new place. Now that I have purchased a new home, one of my first goals was to get back into the hobby. However, this time around I would like to stock it with fish that aren't aggressive. Since I love cichlids, I landed on South Americans. I had two serums in a smaller 75-gallon tank before and I absolutely adored them (despite them being called the poor mans discus).

I already set up the sum, finished aqua-scaping, and I am in the process of fishless cycling the tank now. Since I am just about ready to add fish I am looking for stocking ideas as I don't want to overstock the tank. I plan on having 2 serums and I am thinking about adding some geophagous tapajos, and some other suitable tank mates down the line.

Does anyone have any stocking suggestions on what species would pair well with the two serums and how many of each fish I should get? In other words, what is the exact way you would tank the tank if it was yours?

Any help is appreciated! :D
MZ.H20

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Return to South American Cichlids