South American Cichlids • Apisto Viejita Red Neck

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Apisto Viejita Red Neck

Postby TatsuS12 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 am

Looking for confirmation on an I.D for this paor of Apisto's and sexing. Were sold to me as Apisto Viejita "Red Neck" and as a male female pair. My first foray into Apisto's and cichlids in general.

http://imgur.com/gallery/bghInGj
TatsuS12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Apisto Viejita Red Neck

Postby dfarci » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Looks like macmasteri. Fair to say that most fish with the "red neck" label attached will be macmasteri. A. viejita are only sold by a few hobbyists in the US, and I doubt they are available in Australia considering the import laws. Looks like a pair to me.
dfarci

Postby TatsuS12 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:35 pm

Sweet, that was what I thought as well after doing some digging around. Much prefer having the correct names on the fish I keep.

And also good to know they look like a pair, the girl has been colouring up a fair bit the last couple of days and chasing the boy a little, so was a little worried I may have gotten 2 males
TatsuS12

Postby sir_keith » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:25 pm

Hate to rain on the parade here, but IMO you have two young A. macmasteri males. :fish:
sir_keith

Postby dfarci » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:18 pm

If the female is coloring up in any way besides bright yellow body, then it's a second male most likely.
dfarci

Return to South American Cichlids