Switch to full site
Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)
Post a reply

Ram breeding

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:36 am

Hello, I have 2 male and 2 female german blue rams in my 200 liter tank along with some tetras, dwarf plecos etc. The tds is 160ppm ph is 6.6 and the water is 28 degrees. I am trying to breed the rams but they won’t even pair. I had them for nearly two months. Is there anyting I can do to speed up the process.

Re: Ram breeding

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:00 pm

If the boys aren't paying attention to the girls they might just be too young, and there's nothing you can do but be patient. I'd also increase the temperature to 29-30 degrees C, and offer them lots of frozen and/or live foods. For sure your tank is big enough, maybe too big, so they're not obliged to share any space. Years ago I had two breeding pairs of Rams in a 5 gallon (~20l) tank, and they used to breed regularly, and synchronously. Good luck. :fish:

Re: Ram breeding

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:41 am

I have a breeding pair in a 10 US Gallon (37 Liter). I noticed that when I jumped the temperature from 78° F (25.5° Celsius) to 86°F (30° Celsius) they started to lay eggs. Maybe try getting a smaller tank and jumping temp up.
Post a reply