South American Cichlids • Oscar bio-load vs Africans

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Oscar bio-load vs Africans

Postby deltafastback » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 am

After 20 years of keeping African cichlids I'm wanting to try something different. Compared to a heavy load of Africans (30+) in a 90 Gallon, what could I expect with a single Oscar and a few yet undetermined tank mates(maybe Jack Dempsey,Severum,Silver dollars) . Currently running an FX4 & Fluval 307 canister filters

How much maintenance would this setup require over the Africans?
deltafastback

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Oscar bio-load vs Africans

Postby ken31cay » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:12 am

They also need 'clean' water conditions so you'd still be doing regular water changes, the maintenance level depending on bio-load. You would wind up with less fish but they'd eventually be bigger so possibly comparable bio-load.

When I was a pre-teen I used to keep 2 tiger Oscars, Jack Dempsey, and Firemouth Cichlid in a 125 gallon and, well from what I remember, africans might just be the lower maintenance fish seeing as how Oscars are messy eaters.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby Ichthys » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:21 am

Just more/bigger water changes, and possibly more filtration. A 12” fish has the same bioload as eight 6” fish of the same shape.
Ichthys

Postby deltafastback » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks for the info...Was really curious if the Oscar was as messy as its reputation. Water changes will be breeze just moved and now my 90 is right by a sink with great water pressure.
deltafastback

Postby ken31cay » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:09 pm

deltafastback wrote:Thanks for the info...Was really curious if the Oscar was as messy as its reputation. Water changes will be breeze just moved and now my 90 is right by a sink with great water pressure.

Do you have a Python water changer? If not you should definitely get one.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & haps
180gal school of Red Rainbowfish
ken31cay

Postby deltafastback » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:41 pm

ken31cay wrote:
deltafastback wrote:Thanks for the info...Was really curious if the Oscar was as messy as its reputation. Water changes will be breeze just moved and now my 90 is right by a sink with great water pressure.

Do you have a Python water changer? If not you should definitely get one.

Yes!! couldn't imagine having an aquarium without one. I've had one since 99 when I bought my 90
deltafastback

Return to South American Cichlids