South American Cichlids • 125 Gal Stocking Suggestions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

125 Gal Stocking Suggestions

Postby flat_tire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi all,

I am getting a 125 gallon tank (6' length) and am starting to look at possible stocking options. I currently have a 55 gallon mbuna tank so potentially going a different route (although a 125G all male peacock and hap tank is appealing too!). I have 3 kids and as a way to get them interested I am thinking of 3 main fish (let them each "pick out" the fish) with other smaller filler to add activity and color. Initially was thinking 3 Oscars. Have never had them but I could get an albino, red, and tiger Oscar and that would work perfect. However, after reading, it seems 3 Oscars would be pushing it in a 125.

So I am turning to you all. What stocking options would you suggest with 3 featured fish that will get a decent size but not too big, be distinctive enough that each of my kids could have "their own" fish, and are compatible enough temperament wise.

Bonus would be any filler fish to keep the tank more interesting.

Thanks!
flat_tire

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 125 Gal Stocking Suggestions

Postby flat_tire » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:31 am

After some further review, here is where I am currently at:

1x Oscar
1x Jack Dempsey (maybe electric blue JD?)
1x Green Terror
1x Severum

Would these all work in a 125 gal tank? Could I add any additional smaller fish to add activity? If so, what and how many would you suggest?

Thanks!
flat_tire

Postby Oscar6 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:38 pm

A large adult Oscar of a foot long or more, 2+lbs can make a 125 look small all by itself. Adding 3 other fish that can reach 10 ins would constitute an overstock imo. A regular JD can be #%$& for the other considerations, and an EB is far too delicate. A single tolerant Oscar, and a Sev that can stand up for itself may work out. Never any guarantees. Fyi, Oscar lives alone just fine, and if you can grow a really big one in a proper setting, with optimum care, you will have a fine water pet for maybe 15yrs. For a mixed tank at 125g, I would skip the Oscar.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Postby Oscar6 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Another quick fyi.. if Oscar thinks he can eat it, he will... small fish become meals.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Return to South American Cichlids