South American Cichlids • Keyhole tankmate suggestions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Keyhole tankmate suggestions

Postby Jarnold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi, i have a forty gallon tank with three youngish keyhole cichlids in and about to rehome my half size opaline gourami as it seems to be chasing my keyholes a little too much. any ideas on what to replace it with that wont exhibit the same behavior?

Slightly wary of adding more cichlids and maybe thinking a singular fish, though I've heard rainbow cichlids and red breasted acara can be peaceful? But wary of risking aggression. Maybe just another keyhole or two to complete the group I've seen white ones id love to add to the red ones i have if could find some in UK as id love blue eyed cutteri but i wouldnt want to risk introducinh another bully.

Anything anyone can recommend more peaceful cichlid or otherwise with some keyholes and some dither fish?

Thanks in advance for the help
Jarnold

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Keyhole tankmate suggestions

Postby Bd79 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:41 pm

I wouldn't put the rainbow cichlid in with the keyhole cichlids. I think a rainbow will be a little more aggressive than the keyholes and intimidate them, especially in a tank that's not all that big. In my experience, keyhole cichlids are easily bullied.

I'd add more keyholes, maybe one or two. I suppose you could also try Bolivian Rams, which are fairly peaceful.
Bd79

Re: Keyhole tankmate suggestions

Postby Jarnold » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Cheers, yeah fair enough i did think that was a possibility, I've got rams in another tank and found them peaceful but may just get another keyhole or two as I've found a liking for these fish
Jarnold

Return to South American Cichlids