South American Cichlids • Parrot Laid Eggs without Mate

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Parrot Laid Eggs without Mate

Postby 01722 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:56 pm

My Parrot just laid eggs (thought she was male for the last 4 years) and there is no way any of her tankmates will fertilize the eggs. Will this cause a lot of stress while she defends the eggs and they eventually decay/ get eaten? I'm concerned she could get ick or some other stress related sickness after? Is this no big deal or is there something I should do afterwards?
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks
30G 3 Yellow Labs - 1M 2F

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Parrot Laid Eggs without Mate

Postby Deeda » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:18 pm

It shouldn't be a big deal and she shouldn't get stressed. Usually the other fish will eat them up quickly though so I'm surprised they haven't already.

Just monitor that she is still eating normally, you could always remove the eggs if you notice she's spending too much time defending the area. If you see the eggs start to fungus or decay, remove them using a siphon hose.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Re: Parrot Laid Eggs without Mate

Postby 01722 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:02 pm

Update- A male peacock(Ruby Red) has been allowed in the area with the eggs. He is defending the eggs with the female. I don't figure they are biologically capable of having offspring but it is an interesting turn of events.
60G Blood Perrot, Blue Dolphin, Yellow Lab, Pleco, Rainbow Shark, 8 assorted male Peacocks
30G 3 Yellow Labs - 1M 2F

Return to South American Cichlids