South American Cichlids • Need Help Identifying Pike Cichlids!

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Need Help Identifying Pike Cichlids!

Postby bestm243 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 am

Hello!

I recently went on a trip to Peru and, while fishing, I caught and released these pike cichlids. I've been trying to identify them and I have a good idea on some of them but I was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
P1121208.JPG
P1080739.JPG
Crenicichla sp. Possibly johanna or lucius (12).JPG
Crenicichla sp. Possibly johanna or lucius (4).JPG
Crenicichla sp. Possibly johanna or lucius (3).JPG
Crenicichla sp. Possibly anthurus (2).JPG
Crenicichla sp. juvenile.JPG
bestm243

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Need Help Identifying Pike Cichlids!

Postby BC in SK » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:17 pm

Fishbase has 9 species of Crenicichla listed as coming from Peru: Crenicichla anthrus, C. cincta, C. cyanotus, C. johanna, C. lucius, C. proteus, C. reticulata, C. sedentaria, and C. semicincta. All of the pikes you have posted in this thread, appear to be saxatiline-types so some of this list of 9 can be ruled out because they are larger lugubris-types with a different marking pattern as well as C. sedentaria which has a markings pattern like a belly crawler pike.
So it leaves C. anthrus, C. lucius, C. proteus and C. semicincta as possibilities for these fish.( Also maybe C. cyanotus since I can not find any pictures of this fish to compare to.)
Pictures #2-5, I believe are Crenicichla proteus. The lack of the humeral blotch is fairly distinctive amongst these species. Also, picture #3, the red with the black blotch/line/spot on the dorsal is a distinctive feature for females amongst these species.
Picture #6 shows a clearly ocelated humeral blotch. I think it's C. lucius as I don't think the blotch is positioned high enough for C. anthrus. . Plus the red trim at the top of the dorsal fin is also a match.
Picture #7 is too young with a lack of pictures to compare it to.
Picture #1 appears to be a much more mature fish. Markings are faded in it's present state so difficult to match with the few pictures I can find for these species. Appears to look most like C. lucius, but really not too sure at all.
BC in SK

Re: Need Help Identifying Pike Cichlids!

Postby BC in SK » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:06 am

Looking again at picture #6, the ocelated humeral blotch is positioned higher up from the horizontal line. So I've changed my mind on that one. Likely Crenicichla anthrus. Further more, when looking at pictures of young C. lucius, the humeral blotch is ocelated only above the horizontal stripe and most of the blotch is positioned along the horizontal stripe and not ocelated below, so C. lucius is not a match in terms of position and look of the humeral blotch.
BC in SK

Return to South American Cichlids