South American Cichlids • 330 gallon build stocking suggestions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

330 gallon build stocking suggestions

Postby Cornkeeper » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Hello all....Im in the process of building my own 330 gal acrylic tank (95"long x30" tall x 27"deep) and am wanting suggestions for breeding pair or pairs of decent size fish.....I live near "That Pet Place" in Lancaster PA which has a very large selection of species...I know I DON'T want convicts, JD's or Oscars or anything that is common to normal fish stores...I am considering peacock bass, just for their beauty but have never kept them before and don't know much about them....Anyone have any suggestions?....I'm not new to fish keeping, but its been about 10 years since I had my 2 90 gallons were up and running and just want some solid advice.....Thanks
Cornkeeper

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 330 gallon build stocking suggestions

Postby Oscar6 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:39 pm

Do a google search on Peacock Bass. They can get huge, over 20lbs. Not a home aquarium fish imo, not even a tank of your planned build. If I had a tank like that I would attempt to house a single male Dovii.
Oscar6

Postby mambee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:55 pm

I would go to town at Jeff Rapps/Tangled Up in Cichlids and do an all SA tank: real parrot cichlids, chocolate cichlids, severums, uaru, geophagus.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Cornkeeper » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Been rethinking my stock idea of peacock bass and just don't think I would be happy with only a few fish in such a large tank, so here is what I have been leaning towards:
Some type of severum (probably turquoise)
chocolates
blue acaras
orange head tapapjos
keyholes
uarus

Not sure how many of each fish or if all would work together (still doing research on each species)....Plan on a planted tank, but am really not expecting most plants to do well considering the severums and uarus.....I'm months away from having fish in the tank due to building of tank, stand and sump and cycling (I'm a patient person and want to do everything correctly the first time and not have any regrets).....I will have a 90 gallon up by next weekend to jumpstart my plants and some sponge filters for biological....Found some more 3/4" acrylic scrap at work and might do a 40 gallon trial and error tank before building the 330
Cornkeeper

Postby mambee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I love my geo altifrons but they need a larger tank than my 150. Check out the red shoulder severums on aquabid.com.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Return to South American Cichlids