South American Cichlids • flowerhorn lost its color

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

flowerhorn lost its color

Postby Prince_Vegeta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to this site. I bought a flowerhorn 2 weeks ago and when he was in the store he looked so colorful. I brought him home and placed him in the tank. I've noticed that over the last 2 weeks his color has gotten much darker. He is currently 5" in a 36 bowfront tank. I will be getting a bigger tank when he gets bigger. The only other fish are 9 danios (dither fish) and an albino bristlenose pleco. I feed the fish 3-4 time a day with 3 large pellets of Hikari Cichlid Gold. The tank was up and running for 6 months. The ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is up at 20-30. The temp is 78°F and pH is 7.2. The pics below below show the before and after. You can see all the blue and green and pink colors from when he was in the store in the bottom 2 pics. That is what I fell in love with. The top pic shows we're he is dark and is what he looks like in my tank now. The light that I use on the tank is the Aqueon Optilight Plus LED system. The gravel is black and so is the background. I thought the fish's color would really pop against the black. Is there something that I'm doing wrong for his colors not to show? I also feel like his kok has gotten smaller as well. Please help. I want his bright colors to come out and show. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20190308_160628_01.jpg
Prince_Vegeta

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: flowerhorn lost its color

Postby Prince_Vegeta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

My initial post wouldn't let me post the pics in 1 post so I had to split them up. This post shows another pic of what the flowerhorn looked like at the store and what he looks like now in my tank
Attachments
15530124905017503330092755321712.jpg
20190308_160521.jpg
Prince_Vegeta

Postby Prince_Vegeta » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Anyone?
Prince_Vegeta

Postby ken31cay » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Sorry I can't offer anything definitive since I've never kept Flowerhorns. But I know from experience that Discus get really dark when the water quality is sub par or they are stressed due to other factors. And I know alot of fish, some cichlids included, can lighten or darken to match the substrate. So those would be the two things I would advise looking at.

There is a marked difference between the tanks in the before and after pics, the first is lighter due to no substrate and the second has dark substrate. So that would be it right there. I would also check your water parameters though just to make sure.
450gal male peacocks & haps, Frontosa
180gal Trewavasae Chilumba & Kenyi
ken31cay

Postby Bobsled » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Nice looking fish regardless (but yes, the before is beautiful).

Maybe you can go back to where you bought him and ask? Not in a complaining way, more of an inquisitive way. I'm sure the shop has experience with them and could provide you an answer. Good luck and post back with your findings.
Bobsled

Postby Bobsled » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Any update on this?
Bobsled

Return to South American Cichlids