South American Cichlids • Sexing Gold Severums/Mating or Fighting

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Sexing Gold Severums/Mating or Fighting

Postby Sooner_Chris » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi all. Need some advice. Bought two gold severums when they were just a couple inches like 9 months ago, now they are over almost 6 inches. They have always gotten along great, till now. Now one has started bullying the other. Got so bad I had to pull the weaker one from the tank. Not really sure how to sex them, but the dominant one has the red squiggly lines on his face so I assume it’s male, the other is just solid gold so I assume it’s a female. Uploaded some pics of both if you guys can confirm for me? The weaker ones fins had gotten tattered and just didn’t look right also so I put him in my 10 gal hospital tank. Got his fins healed and a month later decided to put him back in 60 gal. The dominant one immediately went after him/her again. They locked lips and just sort of just stayed like that for awhile. Then the dominant one started chasing the other one all over the tank, nipping at the fins etc. so now I’m not sure what to do. I pulled it out again and have it in my hospital tank till I figure out what I’m going to do. I initially assumed they were both males and I would have to get rid of one. But after doing some research I think they are a male and female, and might just be doing some sort of aggressive mating ritual type thing. This is completely new to me and I have no clue what to do. I do not want to have to get rid of one if I don’t have to. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I may try to put them together again this weekend, if I do I will also shoot video and post as well so you can see what’s happening. They will go at each other immediately.
Attachments
992D36F9-6D52-4411-BE07-94427089D970.jpeg
99200420-6F11-4E1E-86A8-BF84983745AB.jpeg
8C9D6C57-0EDA-4EDA-B906-EE8049E2226A.jpeg
1DD0AC1E-7D3A-4909-8905-28FB2F7933CD.jpeg
Male?
Sooner_Chris

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sexing Gold Severums/Mating or Fighting

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:16 am

You have one Gold and one Super Red Severum, two color varieties, though the Reds are suspected of being a hybrid between two species of Heros. The Reds are difficult to sex, as the females can also have facial markings. They also tend to be more aggressive than other Severums. It could be that the Red is wanting to breed, and the gold, which does appear to be a female, just isn't ready. If he has already beat her up a couple of times, she may never get over her fear of him.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Re: Sexing Gold Severums/Mating or Fighting

Postby Sooner_Chris » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Ahh I see, well they were both sold as golds and looked the same, and the red in him didn't really start to show at all till after the first few months I had him and started feeding bloodworms daily. But this makes sense then. I will attempt to put them together again this weekend and cross my fingers. If he tortures her and starts doing damage to her fins again I will have to get rid of one. This whole time I intended on keeping the red because he is so much prettier, but now I'm rethinking it. I may keep the female and get rid of the male red. My local store said they would gladly take one back and give it a home. Then maybe try to find another juvenile male to put in with her, and maybe in time they will become a pair and this won't be a problem again. Or should I just get another female, I assume they wouldn't turn aggressive towards each other? Thanks for your help!
Sooner_Chris

Return to South American Cichlids