South American Cichlids • angelfish breeding

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

angelfish breeding

Postby cichlidboy12 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 pm

hi there i have a 6ft 125 with a pair of angels that i am hoping to breed. The tank inhabitants are 4 electric blue acara, 6 giant danios, and 3 other smaller angels. The pair that is in the tank are a known pair that i got from a great LFS who had a breeder that is leaving the hobby drop them off. The breeder housed them in a 40 breeder with a pair of rams. When i picked them up they were breeding in the tank and had only been in the store a few days so i know they are still breeding and not too old. I've had them for around 3 months and nothing. I've tried raising and lowering the temp, big water changes, put some new breeding spots in and nothing. They keep to themselves and don't bother anyone else and don't get picked on. I'm just wondering if there's any other tips other than putting them in a separate tank that i could try.
125 gallon: planted w/angels, acara, rainbows
75 gallon: Geophagus, Blackline Rasboras, ???
50 gallon tall: planted tank w/ shrimp and HQ rasboras
46 gallon bow front: planted tank w/ GBR
10 gallon: Fire bellied toads w/ killies
cichlidboy12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: angelfish breeding

Postby beachtan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Your danios are quick and probably eating anything your angels may be laying ;) if you can get your pair of angels off to one side, put a piece of egg crate in there to divide them off and give the angels some peace - if your danios can get thru it, then zip tie some plastic canvas from a craft store onto the egg crate to keep the other fish out. set a piece of slate against the side of the tank. You could also make a pvc pipe structure that they'll lay eggs on. (if you pass by a tile store, they may give you some broken slate pieces- thats the easiest ) Sounds like you are doing everything right - its gotta be those other fish in there messing with the angels - their previous owner likely had them alone in a tank if he was a breeder so they're not used to all the activity and having to protect their eggs.
125g Frontosa-Blue Neon Halembe,75g Front fry; 55g White Knight Ahli & Placido.Pheno., 40g Cyrt. Moori/Yellow Lab, Betta Barrack Rack&sump, 20gLongs: Caudopunc.& Cynotilapia growout; RedShoulder Peacocks,Nigerian red Kribs;Tinwini Danios...
beachtan

Return to South American Cichlids