South American Cichlids • I’m an idiot

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

I’m an idiot

Postby chkinut » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Well, what a dumb thing I did.....I bought 1 Oscar, 2 EBJD and a blue acara all at the same time. Stupid. For one thing, I didn’t know anything about the blue acara till I saw him at the pet store. The person working there said it would go just fine with Oscars, but now I see that my Oscar is already showing aggression towards the acara. I researched it over the internet and in most cases....Oscars and acaras don’t mix. All these fish are babies. The Oscar is about 3.5 “....acara about 3”, and EBJD’s are about 2”. The main reason I think I messed things up is....I should’ve bought my Oscar LAST. They grow so fast.....he will quickly get big as my other fish grow slowly...which isn’t good. I really love all my fish....but I think I should take the acara and the Oscar back. And then get an Oscar LATER. Do u guys agree? They are in a 75 atm, but I’m buying a 125 next week.
chkinut

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I’m an idiot

Postby Oscar6 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:01 pm

A lot of your issue is tankspace. A 75 is really a small tank for aggressive, territorial cichlids. Even when they are very small themselves. In fact, Oscars and Acaras do generally mix well, but you need tank footprint and volume. Even a 125, a 72x18 footprint isnt a lot of room for an Oscar to share with other fish. FYI, and I'm sure you figured this out by now, LFS employees are generally void of actual knowledge and experience in the hobby. You get a much better insight posing questions on credible forums like this. I currently have a 5in Acara sharing a tank with 2 giant adult Oscars, 7 Silver Dollars, a Tinfoil barb and a pleco. No problems.... mainly because its a 7ft 265 gal tank.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Re: I’m an idiot

Postby chkinut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks! I’m upgrading to a 100 gallon tomorrow. I currently have no Oscar....and I probably won’t get one, even tho I adore them. I’m planning to get a flower horn to live by himself in my 75.
chkinut

Return to South American Cichlids