South American Cichlids • Green Terror opinions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Green Terror opinions

Postby Dinho » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Guys, new to this forum and decided to submit my first post regarding my latest quandry. I'm into South American cichlids and have always admired the Gold Saum, Aequidens Rivulatus - the Green Terror. Whilst waiting for my new custom made 150 gallon tank, I've been collecting some SA cichlids in my current tank in preparation. I currently have a couple of 5-6" Rotkeil Severums, 3 small Uaru, a couple of Geos and a few small acaras, a few small bandits - along with a clean up crew of Bristlenose and Corydoras.
My quandry is therefore this - how would a Green Terror fit in, should I opt to try one. I have always succesfully kept cichlid aggression down by keeping temps down around 78degF, lots of cover and I also overcrowd (with plenty of water changes), this all seems to help - but would it work with a GT? One of my LFS has some GT's in at around an inch and a half and they're very colourful stunners and a good price too.
My thoughts are that if I introduce just one GT that it will grow up with the others and being used to them, may not be as bad as some make them out to be.
Some say that they're 'absolute demons' where others have said that they don't terrorise other tankmates but if picked upon, will fight back!
That's kind of it guys, so if any of you can offer comments, advice, both good and bad, then please respond and let me know ok. Thanking you all in advance.
Dinho

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Green Terror opinions

Postby Old Newbie » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 am

I used to keep S.A. Cichlids, 40 to 45 years ago. My experience was that they are named Green Terror for a reason; mine were extremely aggressive. Now, this was before there were many commercial breeders and a lot of fish sold back then were wild caught. I guess some of the aggression could have been bred out of them over the years.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Welcome to C-F

What are the dimensions of the 150? It sounds like you’re pretty stocked even if it’s a 6 footer.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Dinho » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi Iggy,
Tank is 66" wide, 30" deep and 24" front to back. I know I'm pretty well stocked but I keep a close eye on water quality and water changes and overstocking a little has helped me keep cichlid aggresion down over the years.
Dinho

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 pm

You could try a small juvenile and see what transpires as the fish matures with the others. If problems arise down the road, you'll have to act quickly.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Dinho » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the couple of replies. I've researched this a fair bit now and due to the relatively peaceful mix of SA's that I have, I've decided not to take a chance on a GT. I've always admired GT's but my other fish are more precious to me than taking any chances with a possible 'thug' in their midst.
Dinho

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:10 pm

:thumb:
Iggy Newcastle

Return to South American Cichlids