South American Cichlids • How'd i do? blood parrot rescue

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

How'd i do? blood parrot rescue

Postby Juicetin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:04 pm

So i came across these two on a local group where a woman had two blood parrots, which her son had left home when he went to college, and she could not care for them properly, so i agreed to take them. They are currently in a 40 breeder with a fluval 306 seeded with some media from my 55g mbuna tank, as well as the sponge filter that was in their tank when i took them. 2 weeks in and 0 ammonia, so i think I've avoided a mini cycle. Used the lava rocks that were in their tank and added some more, as well as the teracotta pots to keep them from crushing themselves as theyve been digging like crazy.

The one in the top picture is a feisty one, he rams my hands any time they're in the tank. The 40 gallon tank is temporary while i clear out some space for a 75 gallon tank, as well as letting my canister establish enough to seed a fx4 or sump on the 75 gallon. Is this current setup sufficient for the time being? I want to do right by these guys, the person i got them from was unaware of water parameters etc, was using pure distilled water to top off the tank, and i tested ph before tearing down the tank and it was at 5.0! they got drip acclimation up to my 7.2. Will be using RODI to balance at around 6.8 over time.
Attachments
marv.jpg
blood parrots.jpg
Juicetin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How'd i do? blood parrot rescue

Postby Juicetin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Also, their names are marv and harry, because ones kind of dopey, and the others a little mean. (burglars from home alone)
Juicetin

Postby Deeda » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 am

Kudos to you for the fish rescue!!

I also commend you for checking their existing water parameters and adjusting it slowly to the new tank. I've never kept this cichlid but I don't see a problem with the existing tank size.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Juicetin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Deeda wrote:Kudos to you for the fish rescue!!

I also commend you for checking their existing water parameters and adjusting it slowly to the new tank. I've never kept this cichlid but I don't see a problem with the existing tank size.

Thanks!
Juicetin

Postby Juicetin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm

So i've aquired a 75 gallon tank, and once i replace the top plastic frame due to a broken cross brace(happened while transporting the tank) i will be looking into filtration.

On the parrots current 40 gal filtration is done by a single fluval 306, and a 5x5" sponge filter. For the 75 gallon i was thinking of just adding a second 306 and sponge filter. Does this seem adequate? stocking wont grow much, maybe another parrot if i come across one, or maybe a few firemouths/convicts.
Juicetin

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:18 am

Juicetin wrote:So i've aquired a 75 gallon tank, and once i replace the top plastic frame due to a broken cross brace(happened while transporting the tank) i will be looking into filtration.

On the parrots current 40 gal filtration is done by a single fluval 306, and a 5x5" sponge filter. For the 75 gallon i was thinking of just adding a second 306 and sponge filter. Does this seem adequate? stocking wont grow much, maybe another parrot if i come across one, or maybe a few firemouths/convicts.

The Fuval 306 is a good filter, we have one running a 70 bowfront in my bosses office at work. You can add more filtration if you want more flow, but for only two fish the 306 is fine. I use a 206 on a 40 breeder in my office and the water is polished.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Juicetin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am

Old Newbie wrote:The Fuval 306 is a good filter, we have one running a 70 bowfront in my bosses office at work. You can add more filtration if you want more flow, but for only two fish the 306 is fine. I use a 206 on a 40 breeder in my office and the water is polished.

awesome, ill stick with the single canister until i decide if i wanna up the stocking. Thanks!
Juicetin

Return to South American Cichlids