South American Cichlids • Stocking help Festivum, Rams, or Apistos

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Stocking help Festivum, Rams, or Apistos

Postby douge_locke » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

Hello,

After a 15 year hiatus, Im getting back in the hobby,I need help in what cichlids to get. Its a 50 gallon about 12 plants, 4 caves.

Its going to be a semi aggressive community tank. Between festivums (aka flag cichlid), Bolvian Rams, and Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Which species is the hardiest? Which is the aggressive. I've been told on other forums I can have only have 2 Appistos OR 2 Rams. Not both,and not more than 2.

Is this true, too small to keep 3 of the same species?

Since the festivums are top dwellers, and the other are bottom dwellers, can I still have 2 Flaviums as well or will there be agression issues?

Thanks!

PS I've kept many many cichlid tanks before, but never these species
douge_locke

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking help Festivum, Rams, or Apistos

Postby Mr Chromedome » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:25 pm

I think the Festivums (Mesonauta sp. would do fine with either of the other two, maybe better with the Bolivians than with the Cockatoos, but I don't think they would interact much with either species. As for only keeping two, I would actually recommend a trio for Cockatoos, as they do well in a harem situation IME. Bolivians can get a bit larger than most people realize, but they are not that aggressive in general, and seem to prefer groups to pairs. If it were M. ramirezi, I would only recommend a pair, but for Bolivians I think you could do four. Mixing Cockatoos and Bolivians is a definite no, as male Cockatoos can be quite aggressive.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Re: Stocking help Festivum, Rams, or Apistos

Postby douge_locke » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:04 am

That makes the choice easy. Bolivian rams, it is. Thanks
douge_locke

Return to South American Cichlids