South American Cichlids • Electric blue ram care

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Electric blue ram care

Postby bruce7267ad » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:00 pm

So I've tried to keep these guys before but they always die after about two or so weeks. My pH is 6.8 to 7.0 I'm using ro water my temps are 76 anything else I'm missing or doing wrong? Thanks guys.
bruce7267ad

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Electric blue ram care

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:01 am

Too cold, get them up to about 82-86 and they'll be much better off.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Bd79 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:41 am

Actually, a friend of mine breeds them in Maryland and recommends 76. He finds they live longer at that temperature. I know it’s contrary to conventional wisdom, but it’s based on his experience.
Bd79

Postby Old Newbie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am

Bd79 wrote:Actually, a friend of mine breeds them in Maryland and recommends 76. He finds they live longer at that temperature. I know it’s contrary to conventional wisdom, but it’s based on his experience.

If I had a friend that successfully bred a certain species of fish that I wanted to keep, I would think that consulting with that friend would be my first course of action.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
40g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Postby Mr Chromedome » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Are you sure your friend isn't breeding Bolivian Rams? They do quite well at 76. But Orinoco Rams come from waters that can reach over 90 degrees at times, and I've never known anyone to have success keeping them for long at temperatures under 80.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Bd79 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Are you sure your friend isn't breeding Bolivian Rams? They do quite well at 76. But Orinoco Rams come from waters that can reach over 90 degrees at times, and I've never known anyone to have success keeping them for long at temperatures under 80.

I’m sure. I know the difference between the species. (I breed Bolivian rams myself, but have not had any luck with German rams.)

You made me find his post, though. He says “below 78”. He sells blue rams at every club meeting (both CCA and Potomac Valley Aquarium Society) and has for years.

https://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/ ... ost-258512
Bd79

Postby slava2929 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 am

I used to keep Blue Rams and have done extensive online research on them. I consistently hear the need to keep them at 80 to 84 F. With all due respect to your friend, 76 is far too cold for them.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Postby Bd79 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:01 pm

Sorry, but you're just wrong about my friend. He has kept and bred blue rams for many years.

Maybe his strains are different than the ones in your online research, but in any event I'll take hands-on experience over online research any day.
Bd79

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Quick question: Did you get your Rams from your friend? Because his fish may be adapted to accept 76, but most of the Rams that are out there in the market need 80 to be healthy.
Mr Chromedome

Postby Bd79 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 am

Good question. Yes, I buy from him, because I know his rams are healthy and hormone free.

It is possible that his strains differ from most of the others in the market. Of course, it is also possible that the conventional wisdom isn't entirely accurate.
Bd79

Return to South American Cichlids