South American Cichlids • Keyhole Cichlids - community tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Keyhole Cichlids - community tank

Postby Cora22 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Hello,
I’m new to this site and I was hoping I could get some advice from some experts as there is so much conflicting information on the internet and I really want to get this right. I have a 240l planted tank with the following fish:
4 x bronze corys
3 x sterbai corys
7 x danios
7 x platies
4 x otocinclus
6 x harlequin rasboros
Do you think it would be possible to keep some keyhole cichlids in the tank I addition to these? I was originally considering Bolivian Rams however I have been told that keyhole cichlids would be much more suitable and interesting. I don’t want to just go by the recommendations of my lfs, as I don’t want to make any mistakes. Everything I have read on the internet seems to suggest this is correct but I don’t want to just go ahead and add them.
Thank you in advance.
Cora22

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Keyhole Cichlids - community tank

Postby Bd79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:35 pm

I think either Bolivian rams or keyholes would be fine. In my experience, both species are fine in community tanks.
Bd79

Postby Cora22 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:34 am

Thank you for replying. Would you just get a pair or do you think it’s possible to have more? I read somewhere that 6-8 is best, but I also read that only a pair would be ok.
Cora22

Postby Bd79 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:05 pm

I think 8 would be too many, but 4 would be okay. I think 6 would be as far as I would go.
Bd79

Postby slava2929 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:14 am

I have a single keyhole in my 20 gallon and I can certainly vouch for them in any community tank. I have a bunch of other cichlids (convict, rainbow, Jewel, Firemouth) that I would never put with anything other than cichlids or corys but my keyhole has been with many other fish and I have had zero problems. They are MUCH shyer than other standard sized cichlids and as far as aggressiveness goes, I would put them about the same as rams or other dwarf cichlids. I have had rams before and I much prefer Keyholes because they are hardier and much easier to keep albeit a bit bigger.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Return to South American Cichlids