South American Cichlids • 475 gallon stocking

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

475 gallon stocking

Postby Hazmat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Ok so I am in the finishing stages of a 475 gallon plywood tank build. I have some filtration to build and a few minor details to work out, but I've pretty much got a game plan. I want to put SA/CA in the tank, and I Have my own thoughts on stocking, but I love suggestions if anyone has them. So here it is, 475 gallons what would you stock it with?

My thoughts were along the lines of this, but nothing set in stone.

3 chocolate cichlids
3 uaru
2 red shoulder severum
3 turquoise severum
3 port cichlid (Port Acara)
Hazmat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 475 gallon stocking

Postby Deeda » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Tank dimensions for best suggestions from the members familiar with compatible species.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Hazmat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:11 pm

9ft x 32" x 32"
Hazmat

Postby BC in SK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Given the size of your tank and the mild temperament of your proposed stock list, your odds of success are indeed, very good.
Of course with any cichlids there is never any guarantee. Sometimes they end up as rivals and just don't get along. Even in big tanks, cichlids may end up having to be removed. But even mild mannered species can be aggressive towards their own kind or closely related, though a big tank should go a long ways in minimizing aggression.
BC in SK

Postby Hazmat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 pm

BC in SK wrote:Given the size of your tank and the mild temperament of your proposed stock list, your odds of success are indeed, very good.
Of course with any cichlids there is never any guarantee. Sometimes they end up as rivals and just don't get along. Even in big tanks, cichlids may end up having to be removed. But even mild mannered species can be aggressive towards their own kind or closely related, though a big tank should go a long ways in minimizing aggression.

I certainly agree that you never really know what they are going to do, but thats the way it is with any creature with a mind of its own. Any suggestions on what you would put in it? Am I playing it too safe?
Hazmat

Postby BC in SK » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 am

Hazmat wrote:
BC in SK wrote:Any suggestions on what you would put in it? Am I playing it too safe?

No, I don't think you are playing it too safe. For an SA themed tank, I would probably consider a very similar stock. Other possibilities might include festivum, oscars, parrot cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus, and/or some type of pike cichlid. My self, I would almost certainly stock some type of pike. Had many types in the past and are amongst my favorite SA cichlids. Safer choices would be saxatilis-types, belly crawlers or dwarf types. With a big tank, I would probably be inclined to stock a lugubris-type, but aggression wise, that's not really a safe choice. They would definitely dominate the tank; whether or not they would be aggressive or laid back with more mild mannered SA is difficult to predict. I know kept with aggressive CA they certainly can run into a lot of conflict and violence though when they are boss of a tank are typically more laid back then CA.
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 am

Also, Geos would be another to consider. The genera Geophagus, Satanoperca and Gynogeophagus. Lot's of possibilities there. Brasiliensis-types the only real aggressives. The red humps (Geophagus steidachneri, G. pellegrini, G. crassilabris) a little more aggressive then most, but the rest generally very mellow.
BC in SK

Postby Hazmat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks for the input. I had considered the geos as well. Looks like most of the talking part is done now. I just have to get the construction of the tank finished. Then do the setup and cycling and I'm on my way :)
Hazmat

Return to South American Cichlids