South American Cichlids • Mixing species in community tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Mixing species in community tank

Postby John arnold » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello all, got a 240 litre community heavily plantes tank with pair of rams and a pair of cockatoo cichlids, they seem ok for over a week now with no damage from confrontations just a chase now and then would it be pushing it to get a pair agassizi as well, i have cardinals and shrimp as well ?
John arnold

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mixing species in community tank

Postby BratmanXj » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:59 pm

I've never been able to keep Rams very well and my understanding is they require warmer water than Apisto's. In my experience Apisto's do better in harems, 1m -3/4F. I prefer not to mix 2 similar species within a tank but Apisto's usually have a relaxed demeanor and you would probably be ok.

My advice is keep the pair of Rams and pair of Cacatoo Apistos and add a school of dither fish like tetras or pencilfish and bottom feeders like cory cat's to fill out the tank.
BratmanXj

Postby slava2929 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 am

Rams are off the charts difficult to keep. IF I were you, I'd focus on getting that tank up to 82 degrees, softening the water and lowering the Ph before I'd do anything else. A Ph of 6.5 - 7 is what you should be aiming for if you want the rams to live and not hurt the other fish. But in terms of stocking the tank, you should be okay with the agassizis . Sounds like a pretty good setup. A 55 heavily planted tank should be okay for six dwarf cichilds - at least over the short term. Ultimately though, it's the individual fish that will determine whether you can pull it off or not. The main reason I say go for it though, is that rams are so fragile, there is a really good chance they'll die within the year.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Postby slava2929 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:00 am

Just to clarify. It's German Blues and Gold Rams I was referring to. I have never kept Bolivians although I have heard they aren't anywhere near as fragile.
29 - Convict, 2 Zebra Danios
40B - 2 Rainbow Cic's + 25 fry, Panda Garra
20 - juvenile Angelfish, Ember Tetra, Rummynose Tetra, 2 Rosy Tetras
20L - Jewel Cic., 2 Panda Corys, 3 Axelrod Corys, 3 Sterba's Corys, 3 Denison's Barbs
slava2929

Postby John arnold » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Sorry just seen theses replies im all good now

Mamy thanks
John arnold

Return to South American Cichlids