South American Cichlids • Help with My Sick Oscar!

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Help with My Sick Oscar!

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 pm

My 11" Oscar suddenly stopped eating this morn... he ate 1 small chunk of frozen krill, then just spit out the rest. Totally unlike him! A couple hours later, I found him hiding, sitting near the bottom, not looking well. His tail vibrates every 10 seconds or so.

You can see it right when this video starts, then again right before the end. Any idea what's going on?

phpBB [video]
WaWaZat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Help with My Sick Oscar!

Postby WaWaZat » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:24 pm

After posting this video, I noticed something hanging out of his left gill (you can get a quick glimpse of it near the beginning of my vid). Like a long poop. So I attempted to net him to try to pull it out. In the struggle, whatever it was came out so I left him alone. After, he seemed to begin to feel slightly better and appears a lot better today. He didn't do his early morning routine of jumping and dashing around the tank, but he is swimming around normally and ate just fine.

Anyone ever had something like this happen?

I have been feeding him a few carpenter ants regularly that have been coming in to the house, as they appear, and was a bit worried it had to do with that.
WaWaZat

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:22 am

My Oscar is still here but not his usual spunky self since my last posts. He seems to have good days and bad days. What is the expected lifespan of an Oscar in captivity? Mine has got to be about 8 years old.

Also, I've noticed now that after weekly water changes, he stays near the top to breath. He seems to struggle for air. After some time, he will sit near the bottom and sort of lean sideways like he's gonna pass. Then he'll be better the next day. Several months ago, I had 3 small geos pass right after a water change. What could I be doing wrong? We change about 40 % of the water in the 110 gal. The refill gets put in right out of the tap (treated Chicago city water) and we dose for 110 gals with API Water Conditioner at the end of the Python hose at the very beginning of the fill... right into the tank.
WaWaZat

Postby freshwaterhobby » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:27 am

This sounds a bit like what happened with our Oscar. They are such personable, hardy fish, that when they don't feel well it is quite noticeable.

In our case, after a time of good and bad days, he did eventually die, and I was so sad :(

But I read that 8-12 years is average in captivity, and ours was 12" long, and somewhere around 9 years old.

I hope yours feels better for a long while :)

If you are worried about the carpenter ants, I would stop feeding him those and see if that helps.

As for the way you do water changes...is there any way you could add water you have already dosed, rather than straight from the tap/while dosing? Or...I'm not an expert but maybe dose at the beginning and end of the fill? And rather than dose for 110, only dose for the changed amount? Guessing here though, so get a second opinion ;)

Also, I have gotten into the habit of filling 1 gallon plastic bottles with tap water then letting them sit around without lids for a couple days to let the chlorine evaporate. Of course if space is an issue this won't work...but if you can store them under a tank or something, it's great to have the water on hand for fills! I like it because it uses fewer pricey chemicals ;)
freshwaterhobby

Return to South American Cichlids