South American Cichlids • 90 gal planted question

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

90 gal planted question

Postby FunkyFish » Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Hello, I have a heavily planted 90 gallon tank I am looking to add a species of cichlid to. The current inhabitants are emperor tetras and melon barbs, so I need something that can handle some fairly active tankmates as well as not disturb plants.
FunkyFish

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 90 gal planted question

Postby mambee » Wed May 30, 2018 11:54 am

Bolivian rams are great.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby FunkyFish » Wed May 30, 2018 7:50 pm

You think they wouldn't be intimidated by the barbs? To be fair I was hoping for some slightly less common ideas, mainly because cichlids like to breed, and the less common they are the easier it is to find homes for the offspring. As my tanks is not biotype specific, I haven't ruled out a west african species either.
FunkyFish

Postby mambee » Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm

How about blockhead cichlids? They have lively personalities.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby FunkyFish » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Steatocranus spp? I believe they like to dig, but they are neat. My thoughts were possibly one of the larger apisto species, laetacara dorsigera, or pelvichromis rubrilabiutus. My concerns were as follows.
With apistos, the females I have had all topped out around 1.5 inches, and weren't always very effective guarding fry against larger tankmates. Laetacara I don't know anything about, if they would be too timid or not. Pelvichromis, on the other hand, have the potential to be too aggro I believe. Steatocranus are a possibility if they wont uproot all my plants. I have a little bit into the lighting, and Co2, so keeping the greenery is still a priority at this point.
FunkyFish

Postby JonathanN » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:47 pm

angels! I got my first angel in my 3Am 6 planted and he has so much personality I love him, he greets me everyday and when I am doing maintenance on my plants such as trimming he stays a couple inches away from my hands just watching and sometimes nibbling! plus if you have shrimp in that tank for cleaning algae they won't kill them unlike almost all apistos :(
JonathanN

Return to South American Cichlids