South American Cichlids • Your opinion on compatibility and stock

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Your opinion on compatibility and stock

Postby appcontrol » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 am

Hi all, i am new to apistogramma world and i have few questions.
1. I have 85l tank, 80cm x 30cm x 35cm, i have two filter pumps one 300 l/h and other 400 l/h
2. In this moment i have 1 male apistogramma agassizii male
8x harlequin rasboras
1x ancistrus (4 cm approx. now)
3. I have a lot of plants and at least 4-5 hiding spots now (maybe i will try to make room for one more somehow.

And now question

Can i put 1 or two female agassizii apistogrammas?

Can i leave 1 apistogramma male and put 1 pearl gourami?

I asked on other forum and did get mixed answers like i can put only 1 and maybe few more rasboras or two females and 2 extra rasboras just to make school of ten, or like 1 more female is top for fishes in tank etc.

Other thing i did get little bit stressed about is that if i put female when they breed they could kill some rasboras or small ancistrus.

So i want to get your opinon what else i can stock in tank.
Btw. I dont want to breed apistogrammas i hope snails and ancistrus will make some kind of balance there.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1523887866643.jpg
appcontrol

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Your opinion on compatibility and stock

Postby BratmanXj » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am

With any dimorphic cichlid I've ever owned they won't show their full colors unless a M & F are present. I don't think it would be detrimental to the Apisto to be alone in the tank, but he'd probably show better color if you put a female in the tank.

The breeder I purchased my Apistos from had 1m & 3/4F in a 20g high tank with lots of caves and floating plants. If you were to get him a female you'd probably need to buy 3-4 and pull females if they get bullied.
BratmanXj

Postby appcontrol » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:01 am

Tnx on answer. I know all that facts but i dont want collateral damage in community tank. So for now i will leave just 1 male apistogramma in this tank and in few months i will make second apistogramma dedicated tank. But for now what is your opinion: add one more school of 8 smaller tetras or to add let's say pearl gourami?
appcontrol

Postby BratmanXj » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:55 am

I don't have much background with Gourami's so I can't give you much help there. As stated I'm not much a fan or "singular" fish either since they won't show typical behaviors.
BratmanXj

Return to South American Cichlids