South American Cichlids • Columbian tetras compatible with EBA?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Columbian tetras compatible with EBA?

Postby SVB3290 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:41 am

Hi
New to this forum and cichlids. Currently setting up a 50 gallon tank. My water is on soft side (dgH around 6°, pH around 6.6-6.8) so I'm looking at either SA cichlids that are suitable for cichlid newbies. I'm torn between EBA and cockatoo cichlids (maybe even a Keyhole). I have a hearty school of adult Columbian tetras that I would like to move to the 50 gallon from their planted 20 gallon as I think they would be happier with the layout of the 50. Would a singleton Electric Blue Acara co-exist peacefully with my Columbians (and my 4 gold laser cory cats)? Or would I be better off with a pair of cockatoos?
SVB3290

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Columbian tetras compatible with EBA?

Postby thornsja19 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 am

What are the dimensions of the 50g tank? How many you can have is based on the footprint of the tank. Personality-wise, I wouldn't think any of the cichlids you mentioned would be any kind of problem. I have 2 EBAs in a mixed tank with other cichlids and a school of Tiger Barbs. The EBAs don't bother anyone, except for the occasional time a Rainbow cichlid forgets its place and the male EBA has to put him back in it. But neither EBA bothers the Tiger Barbs. Just kinda mill around and do their own thing. Keyholes are even more peaceful, and cockatoos are way smaller
60g 1 Gold Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Platinum Angel, 1 Firemouth, 4 Rainbow cichlid, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 BN pleco, 1 ABN pleco
10g German Blue Ram pair
3.5g Male Betta, Dwarf Cory cat
3.5g Male Betta
All tanks have MTS and Assassin snails
thornsja19

Postby SVB3290 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks for your input!
Tank dimensions are 15" x 36" x 20". Black Flourite sand, large pieces of spider wood and wood stone. Planting tank with java ferns and Anubia (attached to wood and between rocks). A few crypts. Perhaps some floating water sprite. Fluval 406.
SVB3290

Postby JRW81 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:12 pm

I don’t have any experience with blue acaras but currently have columbians with green terrors, severums and a chocolate without any problems. So I would think an EBA would fine with columbian tetras
JRW81

Postby SVB3290 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Thanks JRW81 and Thornsja19 for your responses. I feel better about adding an EBA to my tank. When I'm finished planting my tank I'll post a photo, I would appreciate both of your opinions as to whether it's cichlid friendly.
SVB3290

Postby Vociferus » Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I have two EBAs and 2 Green Severums along with some Columbian Tetras and have zero issues. The tetras are never even bothered by the others.
Vociferus

Postby harsmann » Sat May 05, 2018 5:31 am

I would worry about mixing the two either. The Columbian tetras are fairly big and high-bodied too.

I have myself have the similarly shaped Buenos Aires tetras mixed with severums, rainbows and blue acaras, with no trouble.
140 gallon - 6 severum Rotkeil and some corys
harsmann

Return to South American Cichlids