South American Cichlids • green terror gender

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

green terror gender

Postby danielparry » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:34 am

I have x2 small rivulatus roughly 7cm long just wanted to see if anyone can tell me there sex if possible at all at this stage, I've had them in my tank about a week now, one has noticible colouration and can see the gold tip on the fins and tail, where as the other isnt as colourful very washed out and no noticible gold colouration on fin and tail
Attachments
20180401_183818.jpg
20180401_183821.jpg
20180401_184656.jpg
20180401_184707.jpg
danielparry

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: green terror gender

Postby danielparry » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:45 am

Pictures
Attachments
20180401_183122.jpg
20180401_183029.jpg
danielparry

Postby wryan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:48 am

The bottom one may be the male ... just based on the how pointed the anal fin appears to be.

If it is a male, the dorsal fin should become similarly pointed as well.
wryan

Postby BC in SK » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:05 pm

At this stage, IMO, they both appear to be female.
They could be undeveloped males, though at this young age and size there are always a few that are obvious males.
If either are males, neither have given any indication of that yet.
BC in SK

Postby danielparry » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:03 am

BC in SK wrote:At this stage, IMO, they both appear to be female.
They could be undeveloped males, though at this young age and size there are always a few that are obvious males.
If either are males, neither have given any indication of that yet.

Ok thanks :)
danielparry

Postby JRW81 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I agree that they may be too young to tell right now but the first one looks female. Think the second one may be a male because to the blue of the fins
JRW81

Postby danielparry » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:26 am

JRW81 wrote:I agree that they may be too young to tell right now but the first one looks female. Think the second one may be a male because to the blue of the fins

Oh ok well that would be good if i had a male and female, what things are there to look for to determine the sex? I read that the females are less colourful than the males
danielparry

Postby BC in SK » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 am

danielparry wrote: what things are there to look for to determine the sex? I read that the females are less colourful than the males

Yes, females are less colorful then males. It's particularly useful and noticeable on the fins. Males typically have much thicker and brighter fin trim, but probably more useful in distinguishing the sexes would be the amount of color on the rest of the fins ( outside of the fin trim). IMO, neither of your specimens have color on their fins, typical of male, at least not yet, at this stage.
Then there is body and head shape. Difficult to explain, but male and female have a different shape. IMO, both of yours GTs currently have female body shape.
Then there is the white vertical bars on the sides of the mid -lateral blotch. It is typical for a female to express this, and much less common for males to be showing this. Not saying males can never express this in certain states, as like many cichlids, GTs are fairly chameleon like, but it is not that common or typical. Both your GT's have the white bars.
I would suppose the second GT is a little more colorful because it is dominant (?).
BC in SK

Postby danielparry » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 am

BC in SK wrote:
danielparry wrote: what things are there to look for to determine the sex? I read that the females are less colourful than the males

Yes, females are less colorful then males. It's particularly useful and noticeable on the fins. Males typically have much thicker and brighter fin trim, but probably more useful in distinguishing the sexes would be the amount of color on the rest of the fins ( outside of the fin trim). IMO, neither of your specimens have color on their fins, typical of male, at least not yet, at this stage.
Then there is body and head shape. Difficult to explain, but male and female have a different shape. IMO, both of yours GTs currently have female body shape.
Then there is the white vertical bars on the sides of the mid -lateral blotch. It is typical for a female to express this, and much less common for males to be showing this. Not saying males can never express this in certain states, as like many cichlids, GTs are fairly chameleon like, but it is not that common or typical. Both your GT's have the white bars.
I would suppose the second GT is a little more colorful because it is dominant (?).

Very interesting thanks, and yes the second more colourful one is definitely more dominant I've noticed every now and then if the other gt gets to close it chases the other away like its showing who's boss, are females less aggressive? Or does it really just depend on each fish?
danielparry

Return to South American Cichlids