South American Cichlids • Apistogramma agassizii "or" Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Apistogramma agassizii "or" Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Postby kestrel1978 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:03 am

Hi,

I'm seeking advice as a beginner with aquarium.

I have a Juwel 240L with following fish: 20 cardinal tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi), 7 endler's (small domesticated variant), 5 small ancistrus spp. (domesticated), 1 Royal whiptail catfish (Sturisoma aureum). Few days ago I bought some cichlids without doing proper research and I have this following issue:

I bought a pair of ram cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) -> female and male (that keep close together,) and Agassiz's dwarf cichlid (Apistogramma agassizii) -> one male and two females. They are both of domesticated origin. I have a well planted aquarium with rocks, roots and a variety of plants. So to my problem, the female A. agassiz's have occupied each ends of the aquarium and chases the M. ramirezi every time they get too close, further the male A. agassiz's tends to patrol between each female and every now and then he chases the M. ramirezi.

So, in my case it is not a good idea to have both species, and who should I keep A. agassizii or M. ramirezi? Also in the light of the other fish I have and water quality?

Water quality:
Ph=7.5
Nitrate <0.3 mg/L
KH=4
GH=6

Regards, Kes
kestrel1978

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Apistogramma agassizii "or" Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Postby FunkyFish » Sat May 26, 2018 9:10 pm

Rams and cardinals mix well as both prefer water on the warmer end of the scale. You seem to have a C02 deficiency causing your pH to rise, your water appears to be soft . This will likely cause your plants to have issues, as well as algae growth. Some plants, however, won't do as well in the upper 70 to low 80s rams and cardinals prefer. If it were me, I would probably go for the warmer end of the scale and keep the rams and cardinals happy. One other thing, apistos have always spawned in small caves for me, while rams have spawned on open flat stones.
FunkyFish

Return to South American Cichlids