South American Cichlids • 4 Year Old Jurupari Suddenly Not Doing So Well

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: 4 Year Old Jurupari Suddenly Not Doing So Well

Postby Narwhal72 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

I think the tricky part would be finding a large pellegrini. Most of the time they are only available as juveniles around 1.5-2" long. Not big enough to hold up against an adult oscar. More snack size.

Having surface agitation is fine. I put airstones in all my tanks. My largest tanks run on Aqueon canister filters and my small ones on mattenfilters. Having strong aeration is important but keeping the water warm (about 78-82) and using soft water is best. All my Geo's are in straight RO water.

Andy
Narwhal72

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Narwhal72 wrote:I think the tricky part would be finding a large pellegrini. Most of the time they are only available as juveniles around 1.5-2" long. Not big enough to hold up against an adult oscar. More snack size.

I could divide the tank while they grow. About a year ago, I put three 2" Red Head Tapajos in. He didn't eat them but he did terrorize them. One got it so bad, he lost his color, stayed in hiding and didn't eat for a few days so I divided the tank for a couple months. After they were established, I pulled the divider and everything was fine. Until about 6 months after I adopted them when all 3 went belly up for some reason! Nothing was wrong with the water... that I could measure with an API kit, that is... but I'm still scratching my head about that one. The Geo who just passed was fine during that time. This all just has me really thinking about what I'm doing wrong.

Having surface agitation is fine. I put airstones in all my tanks. My largest tanks run on Aqueon canister filters and my small ones on mattenfilters. Having strong aeration is important but keeping the water warm (about 78-82) and using soft water is best. All my Geo's are in straight RO water.

Andy

My question about my agitation... do you think I have enough? The one thing I've never like about airstones is they remind me of tanks done with rainbow gravel & Sponge Bob decorations. :D No offense, I'm sure your tanks are great aesthetically. It's just what keeps me from adding one. But do you think I'm lacking enough aeration for Geos? If so, is there another way to get it? I've been keeping the water at 80 now, but it's never gotten below 78. RO water, huh? How do you source yours? How do you measure or find out water hardness? You're in Milwaukee and I'm in the South 'burbs of Chicago, on Lake Mi water, so we're probably very similar water type/quality.

According to Seriously Fish, the Pellegrini like a lower PH and very soft water. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/geophagus-pellegrini/ Perhaps I'm better off sticking with steindachneri or brasiliensis as their PH & hardness tolerance is more inline with the Oscar & Bristlnose I have.

I actually have 2 old Magnum 330 canisters, 2 power heads from an under gravel for an 18"x72" tank and I believe a small air pump just laying around. I don't want to do anything unnecessary but would doing something with any of this benefit my tank and fish?
WaWaZat

Postby Narwhal72 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 am

I am more of a fish breeder than displayer so aesthetics aren't that important to me. Most of my tanks are decorated with clay pots, river stones, and driftwood.

I use a 50gpd RO and keep two 50 gallon drums of RO water filled for water changes. I use a TDS meter to measure the water coming out of the RO but I really don't measure the tanks. Something I want to pay more attention to for some of the species I am looking to breed. When I was in Oak Creek I was drawing Lake Mi water which was great for just about anything. But now I am in Waukesha county taking spring fed water which is liquid rock. The RO is a necessity for the fish I keep now.

Andy
Narwhal72

Postby FireHorn123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Happened with my 6yr old JD he died shortly after
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Postby mambee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:07 pm

I have a 150 gallon tank with 6 large altrifrons. I use Eheim canisters and have an Eheim air diffusor attached to the outflow of one of my canisters. It really helps. Without it my geos breathe very heavily.

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/ac ... n/diffusor

Make sure that you order the correct product because Eheim also calls their airstone a diffusor.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Hey guys! I've put this on hold for a while, as I'm in the process of buying a new house. I will soon be moving the tank, my 11" Oscar and 3 Bristlenose Plecos. After everyone is moved and settled in, I will attempt to add some more Geos and take some of this advice here.

Another question.... you guys using treated city tap water.... or to you Geo experts - if you were using city water...... is it advisable to treat & heat the water before it is added to the tank on water changes? Right now, we just use a Python right off the sink tap and treat it with API as the tank is refilling. Could this be a problem for Geos?
WaWaZat

Postby Narwhal72 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 am

I use only RO water for my Geo's. But if you are going to use city water just adjust it at the tap so it's about the same as your tank temp. Treat the tank with dechlorinator before you start refilling and you will be fine.
Narwhal72

Postby mambee » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:43 pm

I use city water for my altifrons with my python. I treat with Seachem Safe, which is the powder form of Prime. However, the water in my area is very soft.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 pm

We always treat the tank just before refilling, in the area where the refill hose is dumping. I'm wondering if there's a chance treating on the fly might not be good enough and could hurt a sensitive fish. Trying to decide if I should go through the effort to set up a container to fill with tap, pretreat, then pump in to the tank. I've had a few Geos die for unknown reasons.
WaWaZat

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids