South American Cichlids • More info needed about cupid cichlids please

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

More info needed about cupid cichlids please

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:03 am

Hello everyone. I just got my cupid cichlid from liveaquaria yesterday. He's much bigger than they said, but he's a cutie and I swear he's the nicest cichlid I've ever owned /encountered. I have him in a 45 gallon community tank, but I'm going to be upgrading to a 4 foot long 55 gallon soon. I've got smooth gravel for substrate, lots of driftwood, moss balls, and live Anubias plants. I've also got very tall silk plants, floating plants, a cave and a cichlid stone. When I upgrade to the new tank I'll be putting in a large fake driftwood ornament that has several crevices and places to hide in/under. I'm also going to be adding more caves and cichlid stones. My concern is weather or not my set up will be ok for him? I know they say that a lot of cichlid species need sand, but is it really that important? If I don't switch to sand, will that stress him out and shorten his lifespan? My other concern is if he'll get stressed out being the only cupid cichlid in the tank??? I do have two keyhole cichlids but they are babies and very small. I would love to get another cupid cichlid for him, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a mated pair who will turn into psychopathic killers while breeding. If anyone has knowledge about this species from experience, please, please reply.
cichlidluvr82

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: More info needed about cupid cichlids please

Postby Bd79 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:07 am

I don't know how it will reaction to gravel. I think having two cupids isn't likely to result in psychopathic killers, mostly because it's not easy to get Biotodoma cupido to spawn. You might look at this old thread:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=276681
Bd79

Postby Ichthys » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 am

No fish NEED sand, some just prefer it.
Ichthys

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:22 pm

I have to disagree, some fish are specifically suited for sand substrate, like geophagus and many other cichlid species. If your fish comes from an area with a sandy substrate then that’s the type of environment to be provided for it. Some fish can and will injure themselves on gravel and too coarse of a substrate if they try to dig or sift these particles through their gills. So yes, some fish do need sand substrates in order to have a proper habitat.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm looking into getting him a friend. Would it be ok if I put in some sand over a portion of my smooth gravel? My gravel is smooth and too large for my fish to swallow. I've got rainbows, cories, peacock gudgeons, platies and gouramis in my tank. I worry that the platies will eat and choke on the sand. If I do get sand, I don't know what color to get. I don't want white cause then you can see all the poop sitting on top. But if I get black it will be too hard to see the poop.
cichlidluvr82

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:28 pm

As far as air pockets, do I just rake the sand every week my my hand or another object?
cichlidluvr82

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:36 am

I've decided I'm going to switch to Caribsea freshwater peace river gravel. It is very small and my cupid cichlid can suck it up and spit it out. It's also small enough to where the fish waste and uneaten food cannot get down in between it like normal size gravel. And hopefully none of my other fish will try to eat it. I'm probably going to get him another cupid friend.
cichlidluvr82

Postby joselepiu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:41 pm

cichlidluvr82 wrote:I don't want white cause then you can see all the poop sitting on top. But if I get black it will be too hard to see the poop.

would it not rather see it so you can syphon it out? :-? :-? :-?
joselepiu

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 pm

True but I don't want a tank with substrate that you can see tons of poop everywhere. I already ordered the caribsea freshwater grain size gravel.
cichlidluvr82

Postby joselepiu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 pm

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: then...
joselepiu

Return to South American Cichlids