South American Cichlids • Mystery Cichlids ID

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Mystery Cichlids ID

Postby coderlen » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi,
Brand new to the Forum. I inherited a 75-gallon aquarium with 6 fish, all different species. I think I have successfully identified 4 of them, buy I need help with the other 2.
I am posting pictures of the two fish in question. Please forgive me if they aren't South American cichlids, but I believe they are, given that the other 4 fish come from that continent.
The tank has 1 Blue Acara, 1 Firemouth Cichlid, 1 Green Severum, and 1 Sailfin Plecostomus, plus the 2 mystery Cichlids.
The larger of the mystery fish is the largest fish in the tank by far, but also the most placid and shy of them all. When worms or other food are offered, he is the last one to get it, if at all. I have seen him (or is it her?) sucking up the sand and spitting it out to get food. The guy I got the aquarium from said that this fish has doubled in size in the last 4 months. But from what I've seen, he doesn't eat very much, so I don't know how he is growing so fast.
Thanks for your help. I know you people probably will ID these fish right off the bat.
Sincerely,
coderlen
P.S. The larger fish (Mystery Cichlid #1) is 6 inches long with yellow coloring in the caudal and dorsal fins, and 3 large black spots at the base of the tail.
The smaller fish (Mystery Cichlid #2) is 3 1/2 inches long. It could be a Gold Severum, but the pinkish color makes me doubt that.

Mystery Cichlid #1.jpg

Mystery Cichlid #2.jpg
coderlen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mystery Cichlids ID

Postby james1983 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:55 pm

First one looks like some sort of vieja, second does look like a red spotted severum.
james1983

Postby Ichthys » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm

First is Vieja melanurus (also called Vieja synspilus).
Ichthys

Postby JRW81 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 am

Second one is a gold severum
JRW81

Postby coderlen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:26 pm

I very much appreciate the responses to my request to ID the mystery cichlids. Now I know what I've got, and so I'll know how to better care for them.
Thanks so much.
coderlen

Return to South American Cichlids