South American Cichlids • Female Andinoacara rivulatus

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Female Andinoacara rivulatus

Postby johnnyblade » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:19 am

She was sold to me as a female Andinoacara rivulatus. Is she supposed to be this dark or is she a Hybrid?

Image037 by John, on Flickr
Image036 by John, on Flickr
Image040 by John, on Flickr
180 Gallon F1 Tropheus Moorii Ikola – Tropheus sp. Ikola
120 Gallon Empty tank waiting to get ideas
77 Gallon Breeding colony of Placidochromis Phenochilus Mdoka White lips
55 Gallon 2nd stage Mdoka grow out Tank
20 Gallon Planted community tank
johnnyblade

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Female Andinoacara rivulatus

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 am

Looks like a female to me, they don't generally have as much spangling as males, and the thin borders on the unpaired fins is typical for females. While I don't see anything that says hybrid, she does appear to be a bit stressed and that is causing the dark color. I can see the tail of a very large Cichlid in the last photo that might be making her nervous. I also noticed some Geophagus daemon, they are actually rather aggressive for an Eartheater. If you haven't had her very long, she may have simply not settled into the tank hierarchy yet.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby johnnyblade » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Looks like a female to me, they don't generally have as much spangling as males, and the thin borders on the unpaired fins is typical for females. While I don't see anything that says hybrid, she does appear to be a bit stressed and that is causing the dark color. I can see the tail of a very large Cichlid in the last photo that might be making her nervous. I also noticed some Geophagus daemon, they are actually rather aggressive for an Eartheater. If you haven't had her very long, she may have simply not settled into the tank hierarchy yet.

I have had her in my tank since she was young. Belive me she's not stressed, she chases some of the bigger guys around. I have never seen a female so dark. I don't really know much about the Rivulatus. I also have a small male growing out which I will place in the 180 gallon.
180 Gallon F1 Tropheus Moorii Ikola – Tropheus sp. Ikola
120 Gallon Empty tank waiting to get ideas
77 Gallon Breeding colony of Placidochromis Phenochilus Mdoka White lips
55 Gallon 2nd stage Mdoka grow out Tank
20 Gallon Planted community tank
johnnyblade

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Well, they also turn dark when they want to breed, but you're saying she's been like that for quite a while, so I'd say she just stays dark to show her dominance to the other fish.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Return to South American Cichlids