South American Cichlids • smallest feasible tank for german ram

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

smallest feasible tank for german ram

Postby rookie-cichlid1978 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 pm

trying to get some basic info around keeping German rams with guppies and 1 male betta. I got a bit lost around the tank sizing (volume and dimensions). Would appreciate any help on this and also input on the 3 species listed as co-inhabitants. Thank you!
125g: latifasciata, borleyi, stuartgranti(maleri), caeruleus, acei, electra, lucipinnis
36g: P.scalare; 29g: N.brevis; 75g: N.caudopunctatus
rookie-cichlid1978

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: smallest feasible tank for german ram

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 am

I would not advise keeping any of those fish together. First off guppies and bettas are a big no-no. Male bettas IMO should always be housed alone, but keeping them with any brightly colored or long finned fish is a death sentence waiting to happen. Rams are extremely sensitive fish, they are not hardy at all. I can't get any species to live more than 4 months. I've gone through several from my lfs, independant fish stores and had some shipped from imperial tropical and they all died within 2 weeks to 4 months. If you do searches online you will see that rams are not hardy and very hard to keep for a decent amount of time. Also guppies are fin nippers and males can be very aggressive. I've had male guppies kill each other and torment other fish to the point I had to return them. Very bad combination. I would pick a male betta and put him in a 5.5-10g tank.
cichlidluvr82

Postby rookie-cichlid1978 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for that helpful info!!

I think, I will skip this whole combo to be safe. I have a 15g tall (20x10x17) and it seems too big for a single betta. I saw that you keep some south/central american cichlids - would you recommend any for this tank? My tap water runs 7.6-7.8pH with KH/GH=4/8 so soft alkaline water.
125g: latifasciata, borleyi, stuartgranti(maleri), caeruleus, acei, electra, lucipinnis
36g: P.scalare; 29g: N.brevis; 75g: N.caudopunctatus
rookie-cichlid1978

Postby cichlidluvr82 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 am

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I have a male king betta in a 10 gallon tank. I made it look really nice with silk plants, few pieces of manzanita and driftwood, a couple moss balls and a smooth rock hide and bridge. Also have a real anubias plant. King bettas can get up to 3.5" and would love that 15g. I had mine in a 5.5g when I got him, and he was stressed. Put him in the 10g and he loves it. If you want a cichlid to put in there I highly recommend a single kribensis cichlid. Mine is in a 5.5g, he was in my 45 but was really stressed and getting aggressive. I put him in the 5.5g just as a temp tank. I put in a cave and some silk plants and anubias. Turns out he actually loves the small tank, isn't stressed, eats well and doing great. I would recommend getting one from a good lfs, or liveaquaria.com.
cichlidluvr82

Postby Hidan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:47 am

I have read various differing opinion on Bettas.

Some claim they can't get along with other fish and will fight while many others state that they aren't aggressive at all and usually get bullied. The second is my experience, though to be fair I haven't had a lot of success with Bettas (though I have yet to have one who bullied others).

What am I missing, why can't the Betta live with Rams?
Hidan

Postby Stiphodon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Betta to me I like to think of as one of the few fish that have very varying characters. My current betta is a lazy, friendly guy who does not chase/ attack any of the fish in my community tank. whereas my old fighter was a right antisocial poo who was the complete opposite.

In my opinion fighters could live with rams however it is quite risky with a very h9gh chance the rams will nip the betta. especially if it is a betta splenden.

sorry I could not give a yes or no answer but fish have personalities and giving a yes or no answer is impossible:)
Stiphodon

Return to South American Cichlids