Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Does anyone know how to successfully keep rams alive?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bd79 
#1 ·
So I've come through 8 ram cichlids in the past couple years and not one has lived more than 4 months. I've had electric blue, gold and German blue. It doesn't matter how healthy they were, and how perfect my water parameters were. They all died due to unknown causes out of the blue. Like 1 day they were fine, then all of a sudden they were breathing very hard. They are so peaceful and beautiful. One of my favorite fish. But I'm really disheartened so I'm scared that if I get anymore they will die within 4 months. I know they are generally really sensitive and hard to keep alive that long. Does anyone have any suggestions and has anyone successfully kept them alive for a decent amount of time? And are bolivian rams hardier because that's what I've read.

#2 ·
Been a long time since I've tried Rams, and I've had better luck with Bolivian Rams than with the others. What are your tank parameters? IIRC, Rams do better in higher water temperatures.

#4 ·
With rams, its sometimes more about what genetic material you buy (inbred specimens). The average ram in your LFS has been grown with use of hormones, antibiotics etc, in combination with no breeding plan to prevent inbreeding. The combination of these factors makes the fish incredibly sensitive to pretty much anything. beautiful fish nonetheless, but a pain to keep.
Bolivian rams in general have less inbreeding depressions. If provided correct water parameters, they are more likely to flourish than the ones you've been keeping. My father had a pair of bolivian rams for seven years in his south american community aquarium before the male developed problems with his air blatter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.