South American Cichlids • Earth eater suggestions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Earth eater suggestions

Postby Bobbitworm13 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:55 pm

So I have this spare 30 gallon laying around and was looking for a cool and unusual fish to put in it. Im not to worried about water quality because I have a full bladder wn saltwater reef tank, and have a nice rodi unit. I'm more worried about size constraints of the tank. If there are no geophagines or earth eaters that would work in a 30 gallon, can you give some suggestions on unusual and challenging fish for this tank size?
Bobbitworm13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Earth eater suggestions

Postby Narwhal72 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:49 am

Other than some of the Gymnogeophagus types it's a bit small for most Geophagus and Satanoperca.

It would make a nice tank for Laetacara or if you really want to try something challenging how about Ivanacara adoketa?
Narwhal72

Postby mambee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 pm

I would love to have a tank with dwarf puffers.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby mambee » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 pm

Or you can do an African theme with some blockhead cichlids and some African tetras.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Bobbitworm13 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:07 am

Narwhal72 wrote:Other than some of the Gymnogeophagus types it's a bit small for most Geophagus and Satanoperca.

It would make a nice tank for Laetacara or if you really want to try something challenging how about Ivanacara adoketa?

What makes Ivanacara adoketa challenging? Low ph no feeding or just water quality? Also, what gymnogeophagus will work and how difficult are they? I'm pretty new to eartheaters but I have kept extremely difficult fish in the saltwater hobby
Bobbitworm13

Return to South American Cichlids